Need Tool Advice

Mike_H

The best sites in Southern Maine are those in the Presumscot formation which is comprised of mostly Pleistocene marine silty clays. Now, all I ever worked in is Missouri sandstone. But not sure of the best tools. I have a bricklayer's hammer (I like the chisel end better than the pick of the geologist's hammer) and cold chisels as well as a mason's chisel but I'm not sure of what else would work best.

Thanks in advance.

Mike.... I suppose it depends how dry the clays are.... if they are saturated then take a spade of some description if you are allowed to dig, the army do a folding spade/pick which are always handy in your rucksack in these circumstances, but they are never as effective as a very sharp spade..... if the clays are dry and have natural 'faultlines' I tend to sometimes turn my bricklayers hammer round and use it as a chisel, hitting the head of the bricklayers hammer with a lump hammer driving the chisel end into the cracks to split the clay.... I know the head of a hammer is hardened and may splinter, but wearing eye protection anyway, it makes no odds... also if they are dry a spade can be a very good prybar, and give you that extra leverage when you need it.... ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Mike.... I suppose it depends how dry the clays are.... if they are saturated then take a spade of some description if you are allowed to dig, the army do a folding spade/pick which are always handy in your rucksack in these circumstances, but they are never as effective as a very sharp spade..... if the clays are dry and have natural 'faultlines' I tend to sometimes turn my bricklayers hammer round and use it as a chisel, hitting the head of the bricklayers hammer with a lump hammer driving the chisel end into the cracks to split the clay.... I know the head of a hammer is hardened and may splinter, but wearing eye protection anyway, it makes no odds... also if they are dry a spade can be a very good prybar, and give you that extra leverage when you need it.... ;)

Thanks steve. I guess I have everything I need then. Got the pry bar and the folding "camp spade" which I think I got at an army surplus store. Thanks again.

A small (4") pointed trowel is also quite useful in softer clay.

I figured that one and plan on getting at least a 3" putty knife. Pretty much the same thing in my opinion. Besides, I work at Wal-mart, I get a discount on stuff. :D

A slotted screw driver works wonders ... great for digging out small objects in clay.... used to extract 6mm pyritized goniatites from the clay pits at Arkona. PL