Petrified wood?

Jackmandu

While out rock hounding this weekend...I came upon this unique find.  Discovered in SE South Dakota down an old minimum maintenance  / tractor road.  I believe it to be petrified wood...or is it a unique geological specimen??  What are your thoughts???

IMG-3458.jpg

IMG-3457.jpg

IMG-3456.jpg

IMG-3455.jpg

I think you are correct - looks like pet. wood to me - nice specimen.

• I Agree 1

Could we see pics of the ends of the piece? For example, the left & right sides on the 3rd pic. I'm thinking this is geological in nature.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Here are the side views...no it did not fizz with vinegar...however the white crust that was on top of it did...took most of the day to get rid of it.  I don't have a known standard for the hardness test.

IMG-3462.jpg

IMG-3461.jpg

The first of those side views looks more like fairly level and straight geological layering than like a wood-grain pattern. So I’m leaning geological. 

2 hours ago, tombk said:

looks more like fairly level and straight geological layering

The red or the green direction?

Specimen_1.jpg.5064fffa0605419cab0def38be440d18.jpg

The lines in the red direction remind me somewhat of saw marks :oO::headscratch:.

Franz Bernhard

In the red direction, but not only on the red lines. The areas between and within them appear different to me as well, as though they were deposited in different times. 

• Thank You 1

9 hours ago, tombk said:

In the red direction, but not only on the red lines. The areas between and within them appear different to me as well, as though they were deposited in different times. 

Thanks!

Yes, the smaller-scale, thin, wavy pattern is all over the specimen. I am recognizing a pattern perpendicular to this wavy pattern here all over the specimen:

Specimen_2.thumb.jpg.897e300ec1d666110c05ee4843d250e5.jpg

Franz Bernhard

On 9/6/2021 at 5:33 PM, Jackmandu said:

I believe it to be petrified wood...or is it a unique geological specimen??  What are your thoughts???

On 9/6/2021 at 9:24 PM, ynot said:

How hard is it - moh's scale?

Does if fizz with vinegar?

????????????