Paleozoic Adventures in Kentucky and Tennessee October 2021

Jeffrey P

Before we left, Jim took us to a deep water black shale site, also in the Fort Payne Formation. Jim found this partial trilobite pygidium which he gave to me. We also found brachiopods, bivalves, and corals.

IMG_7644.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

Herb and I headed back to Kentucky, but I wasn't done. The next day I headed back to Leitchfield, the Mississippian Glen Dean Formation site where I did so well last year. I found more blastoids, a couple crinoid calyxes including this Phanocrinus parvaramus. It is about an inch across:

IMG_7762.JPG

Edited by Jeffrey P
  • Enjoyed 1

My favorite find of the day was this gastropod, Orthonychia, the best gastropod by far that I've found at Leitchfield or in the Mississippian. It is about half an inch long.

IMG_7756.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

I spent an hour and a half combing the large roadcut. On my way out I stumbled onto this, my best preserved Archimedes I've ever found. Fortunately it was on a small enough rock to transport:

IMG_7553.JPG

• Enjoyed 6

I still wasn't done. The next day I went up to Louisville to meet Herb again. We spent some time looking at his amazing collection and then went up to Bedford to an Ordovician Richmond Group site which had a thin limestone layer crowded with these Lophospira gastropods preserved in silica. Here's some that I picked up:

IMG_7737.JPG

• Enjoyed 3

So, I'm back in New York now going through my finds from the trip. Will take me some time to organize, identify, and label what I've got. A special thanks to Forum members Herb, Archimedes, and JimB88 for their companionship, help, and gifts. It was truly a special trip thanks to all of you. 

Looks like a great trip! You are certainly filling up the echinoderm shelf in your collection. You are fortunate to have family in the extremely fossiliferous state of Kentucky.

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Very nice Jeff! A lot of good finds. Wish you and I could have met up while you were here. Hopefully my life won’t be as crazy next year.

Congrats on that big gastropod you found in the Glen Dean. I know you’ve been looking for a good one. :thumbsu:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

What a crinoid-fest!

Being able to meet up with fellow collectors is one of the most special aspects of the Forum in my opinion.

Don

• I Agree 2

Thanks for a very nice report, Jeff. As, always it was a pleasure collecting with you again.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Those Leptaena are beautiful!  But then so is that Archimedes!  And, and, and.....   great trip, thanks for posting. 

As you promised, this is all AMAZING stuff!! I particularly like the blastoids and sponges!

Giant congrats!!!

P.S.  JimB88 and Archimedes, it was nice to meet you both and to get to  collect with you.

best wishes, Herb

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

I love it when TFF members get together like this.

Wonderful finds too.:b_love1:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Great report and finds, I really like that birdsong fm. material, the preservation of the brachiopods is beautiful and some very interesting species

On 11/7/2021 at 2:40 PM, erose said:

Collecting with Herb always makes for a fine day. GREAT fossils and report.

nice collecting with you also. Mostly I remember it being about 102*

Wonderful ! thanks for sharing it with us.:thumbsu:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

14 hours ago, Herb said:

nice collecting with you also. Mostly I remember it being about 102*

Well at least it was only 102 degrees...