Paleozoic Adventures in Kentucky and Tennessee October 2021

Jeffrey P

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2021 at 8:01 PM, Wrangellian said:

2022?

Great stuff! Looks like it was a productive and therefore enjoyable expedition.

Thank you and it was enjoyable. Thanks for catching my typo.

On 11/6/2021 at 8:10 PM, historianmichael said:

Looks like a great trip! You are certainly filling up the echinoderm shelf in your collection. You are fortunate to have family in the extremely fossiliferous state of Kentucky.

Thanks. You're right. My echinoderm shelf is really filling up now, thanks to a great trip. 

• Enjoyed 1

On 11/6/2021 at 8:47 PM, FossilNerd said:

Very nice Jeff! A lot of good finds. Wish you and I could have met up while you were here. Hopefully my life won’t be as crazy next year.

Congrats on that big gastropod you found in the Glen Dean. I know you’ve been looking for a good one. :thumbsu:

Thanks Wayne. Yeah, maybe next year we can do this together again. That gastropod is actually quite tiny- less than a half inch, but the only one I've found at Leitchfield so far that isn't an internal mold. 

On 11/6/2021 at 9:04 PM, FossilDAWG said:

What a crinoid-fest!

Being able to meet up with fellow collectors is one of the most special aspects of the Forum in my opinion.

Don

Thanks Don. Definitely a special trip for echinoderms. As you said, collecting with other Forum members is really what made it special. 

On 11/7/2021 at 2:40 PM, erose said:

Collecting with Herb always makes for a fine day. GREAT fossils and report.

Thanks Eric. Herb is my main collecting partner when I travel to Kentucky. A special friend and very knowledgeable. Always a great time. 

On 11/7/2021 at 5:00 PM, Herb said:

Thanks for a very nice report, Jeff. As, always it was a pleasure collecting with you again.

Thanks Herb. The pleasure is mine. Glad you liked the report. 

On 11/7/2021 at 8:42 PM, fossilhunter21 said:

Very awesome finds!

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing! :)

Thanks. I am more than pleased with what I found and was gifted. 

On 11/7/2021 at 10:27 PM, ClearLake said:

Those Leptaena are beautiful!  But then so is that Archimedes!  And, and, and.....   great trip, thanks for posting. 

I agree. Many beautiful specimens. Thanks. 

• Thank You 1

On 11/8/2021 at 8:26 AM, frankh8147 said:

As you promised, this is all AMAZING stuff!! I particularly like the blastoids and sponges!

Giant congrats!!!

Thanks Frank. A bit different material than what we have collected in New Jersey. 

On 11/8/2021 at 8:44 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

I love it when TFF members get together like this.

Wonderful finds too.:b_love1:

Thanks Adam. I thought you would especially like those brachiopods. I feel especially fortunate to have added a number of new species to my collection. 

• Enjoyed 1

On 11/8/2021 at 9:38 PM, Misha said:

Great report and finds, I really like that birdsong fm. material, the preservation of the brachiopods is beautiful and some very interesting species

Thanks. The Birdsong specimens are actually quite similar to the Kalkberg Formation in Schoharie County, N.Y. I wanted to be able to compare the two faunas.

Edited by Jeffrey P
  • I Agree 1

On 11/9/2021 at 4:52 AM, Ludwigia said:

Looks like you and Herb had a very successful trip!

Thanks Roger. Hopefully, you and I will be able to get together again. 

Edited by Jeffrey P
  • I Agree 1

On 11/11/2021 at 5:49 AM, fifbrindacier said:

Wonderful ! thanks for sharing it with us.:thumbsu:

Thanks and you're welcome.

On 11/12/2021 at 1:20 PM, traveltip1 said:

Great trip and finds....

Thanks. Certainly was. Glad you enjoyed my account of it. 

On 11/12/2021 at 8:00 PM, Adam86cucv said:

Great finds and it sounds like it was a good trip with some fellow members. 

Thanks and it certainly was. Glad you enjoyed the report. 

21 minutes ago, jpc said:

what a fun trip.  Thanks for the report.

Thanks. It was a great time. Everything worked out really well. Glad you liked the report.

38 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Thanks Wayne. Yeah, maybe next year we can do this together again. That gastropod is actually quite tiny- less than a half inch, but the only one I've found at Leitchfield so far that isn't an internal mold. 

1/2 an inch is a respectable size for that site. I found a handful of very small ones last time I was out that way. I’ll have to gift you a couple when you come back down. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

A couple corrections I'd like to make besides getting year 2021 wrong. The Middle Silurian Brownsport is actually a group. The site Herb and I visited the first day was the Bob Limestone which is part of the Brownsport Group. The two sites we visited the second day were the Beech River Formation, also part of the Brownsport Group. Another good thing about trips like this is learning so much. 

Sounds like a real marathon adventure. Like you, when Herb came to Texas he left me a mini-museum's worth of samples from home. Next time either of y'all are down this way either leave that stuff at home or bring a storage shed for me to keep them in, you've seen my mini-lab, I have to walk in sideways now !

On 11/21/2021 at 7:18 PM, BobWill said:

Sounds like a real marathon adventure. Like you, when Herb came to Texas he left me a mini-museum's worth of samples from home. Next time either of y'all are down this way either leave that stuff at home or bring a storage shed for me to keep them in, you've seen my mini-lab, I have to walk in sideways now !

Thanks Bob. My trip to Texas three years ago was the ultimate marathon adventure. Glad you were a big part of that. I recall the gift bag I brought you was modest in size. 

Awesome report Jeff! That Archimedes is fantastic! BTW: the pic with the large stem sections has a Xyeleblastus magnificus on the top left corner. these large blastoids are always crushed (even the holotype) and have distinctive lines on the plates.

It was great meeting you and Herb, we'll have to get together again next year! 

On 11/29/2021 at 9:59 AM, JimB88 said:

Awesome report Jeff! That Archimedes is fantastic! BTW: the pic with the large stem sections has a Xyeleblastus magnificus on the top left corner. these large blastoids are always crushed (even the holotype) and have distinctive lines on the plates.

It was great meeting you and Herb, we'll have to get together again next year! 

Thanks Jim. Definitely a special privilege to collect with you on this trip. Hope to do so again next year. Best wishes.