JamieLynn

2 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

Weird Wednesday!  One of my favorite weird fossils - Rudists! Hippurites colliciatus Cretaceous Germany

RudistHippuritescolliciatusCretaceousGermany(2).thumb.JPG.bb39bf2203df2b5365143c18dff84e69.JPG

Is this not one of Franz's Austrian rudists?

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Is this not one of Franz's Austrian rudists?

Yes.

St. Bartholomä-formation, Gosau-group of Kainach (Campanian). St. Bartholomä, Styria, Austria ;).

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

I keep mixing you up in Germany! 

Weird enough ;)! Usually, Austrians are mixed up with Australians :D.

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 2

@FranzBernhard - I saw a very funny thing on social media - "Even if you are having a bad day, you are not having as bad a day as the people who have to go to the designated desk in the Austrian Airport because they thought they had booked a flight to Australia...." hahhahaha!!! 

• I Agree 1

Ha!

I see a lot of Switzerland/Sweden confusion out there too (tho' not as much as I used to).

• Enjoyed 1

On 11/30/2023 at 7:08 PM, FranzBernhard said:

Weird enough ;)! Usually, Austrians are mixed up with Australians :D.

Franz Bernhard

Hmph!

A while back a Moroccan chap asked me from where I came. 

"Wales", said I. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Ah, near New Zealand", he replied confidently.

Hmph,

• Enjoyed 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hmph!

A while back a Moroccan chap asked me from where I came. 

"Wales", said I. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Ah, near New Zealand", he replied confidently.

Hmph,

It is like when I tell people I live in London. "Oh, Big Ben." Not quite. The other one, in Canada, with Little Ben who amuses passersby juggling bean bags, our one-decker buses, and our only Beefeaters congregate at steakhouses. The joy of living in former colonial lands is in all the geographical skeuomorphia.

• Enjoyed 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Oh, and speaking of, I did have to share this amusing map of a portion of Ontario:

image.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It’s unbearable all these European cities scattered all over the United States and in Canada !

:default_rofl: 🇪🇺 :Wave:

Coco

Edited by Coco
  • Enjoyed 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

3 hours ago, Kane said:

The joy of living in former colonial lands is in all the geographical skeuomorphia.

It’s the same here in the U.S. 

As a matter of fact, Versailles is right up the road from where I live. A nice place to visit, but not nearly as grand as it’s French counterpart. No palace to speak of, and the folks here mistakenly pronounce the name as “Ver-sales”, much to the dismay of visitors from across the pond.

Oh! and Paris, Kentucky is about 30 miles of travel to the east from Versailles. 

• Enjoyed 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 hours ago, Coco said:

It’s unbearable all these European cities scattered all over the United States and in Canada !

:default_rofl: 🇪🇺 :Wave:

Coco

We ran out of original names.

• Enjoyed 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I read somewhere that Mark Twain once commented on how unoriginal the name 'Portland' was for Portland, Oregon, when it could have been called Multnomah or something more unique to the area. It may as well have been called A, B, or C. I can't remember where I read that and can't find it via Google, so I can't quote it exactly.

4 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

It's Monday! How about a Mortoniceras for Monday! Texas Cretaceous Ammonite

AmmoniteMortoniceras(1).thumb.JPG.0b09234a4ba36cf0832f90973dde87f0.JPG

Nice one! What’s the size? 2-3 inches? Did you clean it? I like the coloration and sutures. Here’s one of might favorites as well, from a spot within view of downtown Fort Worth near the Grayson border. 

8E24FD3F-FE20-40C8-AA1B-B006D623B2D9.jpeg

Yes, it is 3 inches! I did not clean it, a friend did though. It's such a pretty little one...I wish it weren't quite so busted up on the end. Yours is lovely!  There are lots of different Mortoniceras, but I don't think I've seen one with that sweeping back ribs. Does it have a prominent keel? It almost looks more like an Oxytropidoceras. 

• Thank You 1

On 12/3/2023 at 9:14 PM, JamieLynn said:

A few Texas Cretaceous Star Crinoids - Isocrinus annulatus

CrinoidIsocrinusannulatusaRebeccaCkGRKTXCRI060_edited.thumb.jpg.a3e555a01ec0e5e06bf20620b850060d.jpg

CrinoidIsocrinusannulatusbRebeccaCkGRKTXCRI061_edited.thumb.jpg.2d5545afa190ad4b456b894cf43caecd.jpg

CrinoidIsocrinusannulatusEBoatrampGRKTXCRI059_edited.thumb.jpg.c4a843abef3b4cc860a79ba03f442cfb.jpg

Nice ones! I’ve always been fond of the crinoids you post. We don’t have many with the star shape here. :wub:

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Toothy Tuesday....a bunch o sharks from various geographical areas and geological eras! 

Texas Cretaceous Carcharias samhammeri

SharkCarcharias.samhammeriOzanKTXSHA195.thumb.jpg.972a340481327ddb195b418fe18be99c.jpg

Aurora NC Miocene Unknown Shark

SharkAuroraNCMiocene.thumb.jpg.7a9163daae3b8fe685d089d4bddd6856.jpg

Florida Miocene Carcharhinus sp.

SharkCarcharhinusFL(2).thumb.jpg.8117fff735e8506465013da37b805c8a.jpg

Texas Eocene Unknown Shark

SharkWhiskyBridge(6).thumb.jpg.c8d0fa46366cba9e802d56ef5de00a37.jpg

Florida Miocene Carcharias taurus

CarchariastaurusSandTigerVeniceFlorida_edited.thumb.jpg.f1ff8e504ef99c654f2122bdfd484b7a.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

13 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

Yes, it is 3 inches! I did not clean it, a friend did though. It's such a pretty little one...I wish it weren't quite so busted up on the end. Yours is lovely!  There are lots of different Mortoniceras, but I don't think I've seen one with that sweeping back ribs. Does it have a prominent keel? It almost looks more like an Oxytropidoceras. 

Thank you! Mine is definitely mortoniceras (drakeoceras) but I can’t remember the species..it’s a robust specimen I found hanging from the underside of a creek limestone ledge. I agree with you as far as the ribs! It’s one of my favorites because it was so flawless. Here are a couple of pics I took the day I found it showing different angles.

1C14ABCA-5565-48A6-A56F-6FA572ED8053.jpeg

629DCB8A-7686-4E36-BE36-6ECCE2C18A53.jpeg

3 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

Toothy Tuesday....a bunch o sharks from various geographical areas and geological eras! 

Texas Cretaceous Carcharias samhammeri

SharkCarcharias.samhammeriOzanKTXSHA195.thumb.jpg.972a340481327ddb195b418fe18be99c.jpg

Aurora NC Miocene Unknown Shark

SharkAuroraNCMiocene.thumb.jpg.7a9163daae3b8fe685d089d4bddd6856.jpg

Florida Miocene Carcharhinus sp.

SharkCarcharhinusFL(2).thumb.jpg.8117fff735e8506465013da37b805c8a.jpg

Texas Eocene Unknown Shark

SharkWhiskyBridge(6).thumb.jpg.c8d0fa46366cba9e802d56ef5de00a37.jpg

Florida Miocene Carcharias taurus

CarchariastaurusSandTigerVeniceFlorida_edited.thumb.jpg.f1ff8e504ef99c654f2122bdfd484b7a.jpg

Very nice! I only have 3 shark teeth..good variety in your collection!