Ernst Quarries/Sharktooth Hill November 19-21

Kurt Komoda

Hi, everyone! Got back to New Jersey on Tuesday, after a weekend at Ernst Quarries. This was my second trip to the site, the first was back in 2018. The weather was perfect- not too hot and cool towards the late afternoon. All three days were pretty well booked, as far as I could tell, but most everyone seems to leave by 1 or 2:00. Met a bunch of great people, and I think I had a really good dig.

In the first photo, the top section shows everything I found on Friday and Saturday- all but 2 or 3 from the same hole in the "main" area, including a section of leatherback turtle shell (left side, halfway down) and a sea lion tooth (top row, just right of center). The grid is my cutting board with 1" squares. At the end of the Sunday dig, I was checking out a previously started hole out away from the main site, across the road just before it makes a right turn to wind around to the parking lot, and pretty quickly found a nice Hooked White that, at the time, had a nice blue-grey tint to it. Rob told me that it's probably going to be a pretty good spot and let me park right next to it on the following morning. It was pretty darn good. The bottom section of the photo shows what I found on Monday, all from the same spot and without using a sifter. 

I stopped using the sifter halfway into Sunday- I just used the fan method with the shovel. I stand above the hole and cut away a section so it falls into the pit and then, one shovel at a time, scoop that up and fan it in my discard pile so I can see what's in it. Not as thorough, but you get through a lot more material, and anything big enough you WILL see. Also, my back was killing me from using the hand held sifters on the previous days.

I made a previous post showing that teeth from Ernst don't just glow under long wave uv light (365 nm), but they phosphoresce (glow for a bit after removing the light). None of the teeth from the second site glow at all, except for a couple of the more orange-colored smaller ones in the lower right. Some of the teeth have a nice satiny, slightly pearlescent finish.

Can't wait to go back!

IMG_3194.thumb.jpg.6e1bcc0fcf0b8053c867b5660b5674f2.jpg

IMG_3188_HEIC.thumb.jpg.bc43f21822966d763045584152cc69c7.jpgIMG_3179_HEIC.thumb.jpg.88caff776c899708c028939317b78c4e.jpg

Edited by Kurt Komoda
clarity
  • Enjoyed 10

That's a great haul Kurt! Congratulations on a productive hunt.

• Thank You 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, Sjfriend said:

Great finds!

All my years I lived in Sacramento and I never made it down there :DOH:

You should go! It's the perfect time (though you have to schedule your visit ahead of time on the website). The days aren't too hot and it cools off towards the late afternoon. 

6 minutes ago, Kurt Komoda said:

You should go! It's the perfect time (though you have to schedule your visit ahead of time on the website). The days aren't too hot and it cools off towards the late afternoon. 

Thanks for info. Little harder now as I live a few thousand miles away. Someday when I back in area on vacation I'll have to look into it

• Enjoyed 1

• New Members

Hey Kurt, It was nice to cross paths with you there!  I was the guy there on Sunday, but was pretty wiped out after only six hours of digging.  Your final haul looks great, and the leatherback turtle shell is cool.  Modern leatherbacks are big and leathery, maybe they are even a soft shelled turtle.  I am curious about how turtle shells fossilize?  The shell fragment is thick compared to its width, so maybe scutes get broken up into the hex puzzle pieces?

Hey @Bach! It was great to meet you, too! That absolutely was a great spot.

I was also wondering if this was just a section of scute, since it’s so thick.

9 hours ago, Bach said:

Modern leatherbacks are big and leathery, maybe they are even a soft shelled turtle.  I am curious about how turtle shells fossilize?  The shell fragment is thick compared to its width, so maybe scutes get broken up into the hex puzzle pieces?

Leatherbacks have a shell made of many irregularly shaped osteoderms. You can see them in these photos from here-https://www2.lbl.gov/ritchie/Library/PDF/2013_Yang_AdvMat_DermalArmor.pdf and here-https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/off-topic-5/impurests-guide-to-animals-179-leatherback-turtle-1883849/

628EEC15-D4CB-4FFC-8861-54CB0DBEA066.jpeg

D1787D1B-D063-480C-8089-FB2EBF644AA7.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

• New Members

Wow! Osteoderms...thanks for posting this, it's going to be good reading.  I've already read that scutes on hard shelled turtles are modified osteoderms.  The photo speaks a thousand words, and looks just like your leatherback fossil.

Those osteoderms are the most common remains of sea turtles found in the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed though you tend not to find a lot of them.  It's a good find to represent the group.  You can find occasional bones as well.  I think Rob's dad, Bob, found two skulls and a partial skeleton.

You can find pieces of shell from a hard-shelled sea turtle as well but those are rarer.

• Enjoyed 1