Research, Donating, Loaning, Etc.

Wakaritai

I've been curious about the research of fossils. I know there are a lot of institutions that research them, but I don't know any details.

What sorts of fossils would an institution be interested in? How would I know if I have anything that one would care to look at?

Are donations (in general) tax deductible? If so, how is the deduction calculated? (Does it have to be appraised first or something?)

What if I like the fossil and want to keep it, but there may be some scientific value in the specimen? How does the "loaning" process work? I've heard about it in passing, ("such and such is on loan from whatever", and the like) but I don't know anything about the process.

Also, if you have experience in doing one of the above (on the finder side or institution side), can you post about it?

Sorry for so many questions. :)

Fossils of specific scientific interest usually need to reside at the institution (to assure access for future reference and research), so "loans" are undesirable to them. For important specimens, the institution might offer the donor a high-quality cast replica.

Donations are tax deductible, but you will usually be responsible for the appraisal; this is a professional service that is outside the purview of museums and similar institutions.

If you can develop a relationship with a museum, the long-term benefits can be very rewarding.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Donating to an Institution is a very noble thing to do! Hats off to though people who have donated or are in the process of thinking to donate. The preservation of natural history and the sharing of information gained with the public is great goal to attain.

Peter