Petrified Wood and Metamorphic Material from NW NC and southern VA Blue Ridge Mtns

rockyourworld

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

It is not unreasonable to think petrified wood could form in younger stream sediments in areas of older outcrops. It is not likely to happen in the areas you collect. For petrified wood to form, you need to have rapid burial to cover the wood and then thousands to millions of years in low oxygen, mineral rich environment for the wood to be replaced. In the areas you are collecting, there is not enough sediment load to bury wood rapidly and deep enough to prevent the wood from decaying before it can be replaced by minerals.

Actual petrified wood usually has structures like wood grain that help in identification. I don’t see any structure like this in your pieces.

You are probably finding resistant silica rich parts of the surrounding outcrops in the river. Softer parts of the rocks have weathered away leaving only the more resistant parts that superficially resemble wood.

So you are saying a mountain with glaciers during the ice ages could not bury wood, and a river that formed from large inland lakes earlier than 350 million years ago could not harbor wood buried with silt, even though an NC state geologist says it can. 

You say there isn't enough silt when the valley is full of silt, and quite deep in places.

When it erodes away, you can see river-worn quartz in places usually sold as "river stone" at landscape supplies.. 

you don't know anyone reporting it there, so you base your conclusion that.

Neither do you know  anyone finding coral up there as I provide a specimen.  

You have fished the river in places, probably not where I go, and that confirms it. 

It has never been found attached to the rock outcrops you speak of.

Meanwhile, on another mineral forum, I'm the only guy that is skeptical about it.

Everyone else says it is petrified wood, including people that have found petrified mammoth's teeth in Appalachian streams.

Neither were mammoths around when the original rock formations occurred.

I showed petrified coral that I found, when coral is not as old as the granite and other original rock material.

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Whoever proposed that is also wrong in my opinion.

What is it.  I find plenty in Kentucky.

• Fossildude19 locked this topic

Well, this discussion is going nowhere. We don't believe it is pet wood. No wood grain, or texture, and no supporting geologic evidence.

Obviously, we need to agree to disagree.
You will not change our minds, nor will we change yours.

Please take your finds to a paleontologist at a local university or museum, and ask them to look at your items.

Topic is now locked.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me