Can anyone tell me if this is a crocodile tibia bone Fossil id

Christian2107

• New Members

I have what i think is a crocodile tibia but i am not sure. I have spoken with some people that sats it’s not from a crocodile. I wonder if anyone could help me tell what it really is. All the info i have on it, is on the picture (the paper)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2024626378_Capture_2022-01-07-12-13-362.png

Capture+_2022-01-07-12-14-03~2.png

Edited by JohnJ
Photos edited to remove dealer name
  • Enjoyed 1

Nice looking bone.

This is a great example of why we should always put a scale bar in photos.  I am not picking on you personally but hopefully using this as a teaching moment for all.  The bone in the photos looks dinosaur sized to me (about 2 feet long, or about 60 cm).  Then at the bottom of the paperwork it shows the sizes, so it is either 11.5 or 26.1 cm long.  What is the difference is between "Size" and "Overall"?

Having mentioned the scale bar issue.  Even though I collect a lot of croc material, I am not good at IDing a croc tibia.  It is a fairly non-descript bone as is a croc tibia.  The sparrow of the bone world. 

• Enjoyed 1

Lots of small Crocodyliforms in the Kem Kem not much postcranial material is published.   Here is a photo of a late Cretaceous Croc tibia you can compare yours against.  A bit larger.

Screenshot_20220107-102044_Drive.jpg.6707cd5faa4b1a10da1e3d27202ec0be.jpg

A new species of Baurusuchus (Crocodyliformes,Mesoeucrocodylia)  from the Upper Cretaceous of Brazil, with the first complete postcranial skeleton described for the family Baurusuchidae Paulo Miranda Nascimento, Hussam Zaher

12 minutes ago, RuMert said:

Scientifically important tibia with added stability for study:D Overall sizes probably includes the stand

I suspected that as well, but from the photo if that tibia is 11 cm long, the boneplus stand can only be about 15 or 16 cm.  Confusion reigns. 

59 minutes ago, jpc said:

I suspected that as well, but from the photo if that tibia is 11 cm long, the boneplus stand can only be about 15 or 16 cm.  Confusion reigns. 

Full length of the stand, not just the part from the table to where the specimen begins.:) That's so you can't tell if it will fit on your shelf without having to do some math.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!