Tektites or just a dark rock?

Creek - Don

I've been finding lots of these small black pebbles right above the late Cretaceous gravel layer in the creeks nearby.   These are very dark in color and when you strike both rocks together, it smells like sulpher.  These rocks also stand out compare to other light limestone rocks in the area.  Not sure where they came from or how they ended up here.  Most measures around 1 inch or less / 25.4 mm.  I also tried magnet test and non-magnetic. 

20220130_195150.jpg

20220130_195644.jpg

20220130_195828.jpg

20220130_195840.jpg

20220130_195851.jpg

20220130_195937.jpg

Edited by Creek - Don

Don´t look like tektites to me. Too grainy. Not glassy.

Seem to be some kind of quartz-based rocks.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

Not sure what formation your in but I find those in Eagle Ford,  they're weird like they have a coating of something. I've wondered if it had anything to do with oil.

Agree with Franz. These don't look like any tektites or impactites I have seen, and I have seen a ton of them from localities around the world. Having said that, I have no idea what they actually are.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks.   My another guess is that these stones may been carried over from other areas during the erosion process that occured many millions years ago, probably around Eocene.   These are found only between Cretaceous- Paleocene boundry.  Have not seen anything above or below it.   No oil either.   Rock was found above Austin Chalk fm. 

Edited by Creek - Don