Quiz - For The Horse-Lovers And Researchers

Harry Pristis

Here are a couple of teeth, a lower and an upper, from a little-known equid horse from Florida. This is a Mio-Pliocene horse from around 4.5 Ma. You could find fossils of this horse in the Peace River!

This horse is also known from similar-aged faunas from North Carolina, Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas.

What is the scientific name of the horse, and what is unique about it?

You could win a Golden Kudo with a modicum of research!

post-42-12686947210332_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I'd say Nannippus aztecus. This horse seems to be found in all those areas.

The most unique feature on these teeth I think is the protocone on the upper molar.Most other horses have a loop instead of a closed circle.

Dan

How "little-known" do you mean?

Those look a lot like nannippus molars, which is unique because of its small size...

I will try Pseudhipparion,P. simpsoni...and the unusal thing about this horse is their cheek teeth are rootless for the first years of it's life and as the crown of the teeth are worn away additional enamel and dentine are added at the root ends to keep the teeth at the same height. From the Fossil Vertebrates of Florida Edited by Richard C. Hulbert, Jr. B)B)B):)

Edited by worthy 55

It's my bone!!!

Alright, so its a Hipparion horse, due to the isolated protocone. (From what I've gathered)

I'm going to say Pseudohipparion (simpsoni?)(if someone already didn't beat me to the post again)

Unsure of what is exactly unique about this horse...it is also, very small.

Ahhh, foiled again, although at least I had an incomplete answer! Haha, I'll give up on this one.

I will try Pseudhipparion,P. simpsoni...and the unusal thing about this horse is their cheek teeth are rootless for the first years of it's life and as the crown of the teeth are worn away additional enamel and dentine are added at the root ends to keep the teeth at the same hight. From the Fossil Vertebrates of Florida Edited by Richard C. Hulbert, Jr.

Bingo! A Golden Kudo to 'worthy 55'! You are the man!

post-42-12687104313559_thumb.jpg

This the only equid horse to develop hypselodonty to any degree.

According to Hulbert in THE FOSSIL VERTEBRATES OF FLORIDA, "Pseudhipparion simpsoni occurs in the Palmetto Fauna of the Bone Valley region [at about 4.5 Ma], and is also known from similar aged faunas from North Carolina, Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. P. simpsoni is the only known horse that began to evolve hypselodont teeth.

"The cheek teeth of P. simpsoni are rootless for first few years of its life, and as the crown of its teeth are worn away, additional enamel and dentin are added at the root-end of the teeth, keeping [them] at the same height. This process finally stopped, roots were added, and the teeth eventually were like those of other equids. Due to structual limitations,the portion added to the base of the teeth cannot contain fossettes, so their presence or absence indicates the relative age of the individual. Several incisors of P. simsoni are known and are all rootless, suggesting that they are fully hypselodont."

I don't have an indisputable example of a rootless tooth; but, here's an image of a senile upper tooth. Note the missing fossettes, then notice how long proportionally the tooth is to be from a senile individual.

post-42-12687103949478_thumb.jpgpost-42-12687103688734_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all who participated!

Edited by Harry Pristis

What seest thou else

Pseudhipparion is also one of a few hipparionine horse genera that survives into the Pliocene of North America.

Thanks for the expert tutelage, Harry.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Post from another thread by 'TourmalineGuy' copied here for its usefulness in IDing this little horse.

Well, Roddy, I'm impressed! The outline of the enamel walls is one of the most useful diagnostic efforts I have seen on the Forum. Tell us how you did it so it can be replicated by other subscribers.

I think you may have a Pseudhipparion cheek tooth. The size is correct. Plus, it has a diagnostic feature of that little horse: a hypoconal fossette. Congratulations!

post-42-12690152066279_thumb.jpg

Image by 'TourmalineGuy' modified to highlight the hypoconal fossette.

What seest thou else