ID please

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

Edited by NFLfinder
deleted typo

Hmm, Some of these pics are very hard to discern. Photo editor problems? Mine has been giving me grief lately! So I'm definitely not a tooth person but the first shot does vaguely remind me of a couple fragments of mammoth teeth I have. Yours is much more very stream worn. There is a shiny. sugary, often irregular exterior texture present. Perhaps an end/side view might show some internal structure or the dentine/enamel/cementum to help rule this idea in or out. Could be also as Rockwood suggested just a worn nifty silica rich rock! 

1021370641_Mammothtoothfragments.thumb.jpg.051c333508354bf803423886860bebc9.jpg Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 1

12 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Hmm, Some of these pics are very hard to discern. Photo editor problems? Mine has been giving me grief lately! So I'm definitely not a tooth person but the first shot does vaguely remind me of a couple fragments of mammoth teeth I have. Yours is much more very stream worn. There is a shiny. sugary, often irregular exterior texture present. Perhaps an end/side view might show some internal structure or the dentine/enamel/cementum to help rule this idea in or out. Could be also as Rockwood suggested just a worn nifty silica rich rock! 

1021370641_Mammothtoothfragments.thumb.jpg.051c333508354bf803423886860bebc9.jpg Regards, Chris 

Chris,

your insight is great ... I struggle with lighting and positioning an object.  A tooth fragment is reasonable.  New images attached

Cutting or grinding end at a slight angle IMG_1172.jpg

Root end IMG_1179.jpg

Root end at an angle IMG_1175.jpg

Cutting end at top ... Root end at bottom IMG_1177.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I

12 minutes ago, NFLfinder said:

Chris,

your insight is great ... I struggle with lighting and positioning an object.  A tooth fragment is reasonable.  New images attached

Cutting or grinding end at a slight angle IMG_1172.jpg

Root end IMG_1179.jpg

Root end at an angle IMG_1175.jpg

Cutting end at top ... Root end at bottom IMG_1177.jpg

I'm attaching the side images here ...

Intact side IMG_1185.jpg

Broken side IMG_1184.jpg

Thanks for the additional images. The last 2 are very good! 

I'm going to agree with Rockwood and JP on it being no tooth. The new side images just dont seem to show the internal layering I'd was hoping for/would expect to see if it was mammoth...I wont even go into the other long nose tooth possibilities.

735602050_Mammothtoothplatecrosssection.jpg.0514d328c85d250b938cc582ebadecff.jpg

Might be fun to toy with/polish the end flat to make it absolutely clear but I've think I've beaten the possible dead elephant fragment theory to death already. 

Keep after them! Fragments can sometimes be really tough to track back to their owner and many mineral forms play with us. Especially my mind! 

Regards, Chris 

Nature’s molding of an object can be incredible such as illustrated by this object.

When I hold this object in my hand it is easy to see the the attributes of an incisor … real or not.  

I’d like to get someone else’s eyes on this object … to completed my due diligence 

and also polish it’s broken side

Are there any members or experts in the St Augustine / Jacksonville area that could take a look ?

• 4 weeks later...

Identified in person at the shop Prehistoric Florida in St Augustine.  It is a fragment row from a Mastodon tooth as shown in this image.

Of course, I did not pose it originally at this angle … but I’ve added images similar now. EF459_01.JPG

B5B76A97-8B8C-478B-988D-4112DFE365A6.jpeg

86D96A21-5153-4FBD-B987-FC51FC2A45EC.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

@NFLfinder I'm glad someone was able to confirm fossil and put a name to it! I tried but failed!

My thoughts took me to the Proboscidean family initially and down into the large mammoth rat hole. Sorry I didnt extract us from that sinkhole and get us over into the Mammutidae....

Keep finding cool things!

Regards, Chris 

• Thank You 1