Caspersen Beach fossil bone

Thomas1982

I need help IDing this Florida fossil bone!   I found it earlier this month on Caspersen Beach.  It looks sort of like a hoof to me, but not like anything I've seen in a book or online....

20220217_171814.jpg

20220217_171902.jpg

20220217_171844.jpg

20220217_171833.jpg

Looks like a rock. Why do you think it's fossil bone? 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

1 hour ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Looks like a rock. Why do you think it's fossil bone? 

Awfully symmetric for a rock. Texture in 3rd photo resembles bone

• I Agree 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

13 minutes ago, hemipristis said:

Awfully symmetric for a rock. Texture in 3rd photo resembles bone

The texture looks a bit ambiguous without a higher resolution picture.

Still leaning towards this being flint. 

OP, is it dense and stone-like or lighter? 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Agree. While the last photograph throws me off a bit and looks more like flint than bone, from the rest of the photographs I'd say this definitely is a water-worn bone. Actually looks rather like a small vertebra to me. May be @Shellseeker or @Harry Pristis have ideas on this?

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

A candidate might be cervical vertebrae of a dolphin.... with all processes broken off and water eroded for thousands of years. Let's see what @Boesse @Al Dente @MarcoSr think. 

Fossil Vertebrate Identification for Calvert Cliffs of Maryland:  Fossilguy.com

EDIT: Responded too quickly... the picture are whale verts...

Here are some dolphin from Calvert Cliffs:

Edited by Shellseeker
Add Dolphin verts
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

2 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Agree. While the last photograph throws me off a bit and looks more like flint than bone, from the rest of the photographs I'd say this definitely is a water-worn bone. Actually looks rather like a small vertebra to me. May be @Shellseeker or @Harry Pristis have ideas on this?

Here are a couple close up shots - hope this helps!  

20220218_075253.thumb.jpg.510c7304063d8aff4f24fbde10856c5d.jpg20220218_075320.thumb.jpg.3cff4569617db574fd04e993a0ed8701.jpg

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

A candidate might be cervical vertebrae of a dolphin.... with all processes broken off and water eroded for thousands of years. Let's see what @Boesse @Al Dente @MarcoSr think. 

Fossil Vertebrate Identification for Calvert Cliffs of Maryland:  Fossilguy.com

I'd say those match the shape quite spot-on...! :default_clap2:

The new photographs are a bit too blurry I think to be conclusive - at least for me - though I do think I see the veining of osteosclerotic bone.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

8 minutes ago, Boesse said:

@Shellseeker is correct!

Thank you ,

When I call on you,  it is because I am really not positive.. There are so many small (land) mammal verts in the Peace River that I sometime over_allocate this type of vert to marine incorrectly..   One thing I focus on are those small holes (3 below) on verts.  Are they original and if so, what are they named?  Thanks.

20220218_075320.thumb.jpg.3cff4569617db574fd04e993a0ed8701.jpg

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

3 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Thank you ,

When I call on you,  it is because I am really not positive.. There are so many small (land) mammal verts in the Peace River that I sometime over_allocate this type of vert to marine incorrectly..   One thing I focus on are those small holes (3 below) on verts.  Are they original and if so, what are they named?  Thanks.

20220218_075320.thumb.jpg.3cff4569617db574fd04e993a0ed8701.jpg

Thanks!  I would have never guessed!