February Matoaka Trip

Snaggletooth19

Douglas Point was my destination last month, but I really love Matoaka, so I freed up some time to make it out there this past Wednesday. I try to make it out for some fossil hunting trips in the winter months, both for the benefits of less competition and more solitude at the beach, but also for some of the unique scenery.

I really enjoy checking out some of the ice formations in winter along the water. There's some really neat looking ones I got some good photos of, along with some of my finds this trip. 

I made it out there just about at low tide at 8 am. I like to stay for a few hours, and only saw about 4 people, other friendly and interested fossil hunters.

Right off the bat, walking around the tide line, I found two medium sized Hemis only about 3 feet apart, which was really encouraging. However, after a couple more hours, I didn't find too much more just sitting at the low tide line. This time last year, I had managed to find both a juvenile megalodon tooth as well as a Thecachampsa croc tooth, so I had high hopes, but really big finds weren't to be this time. Still a great place to be around nature, sit, and reflect.

After doing some sifting a little later on though, I did find a nice medium sized C. hastalis tooth, which I don't find too often, so I was pretty happy with that. 

Overall, I do really enjoy Matoaka. Finds tend to be fewer than going to somewhere like Douglas or Purse, but at Matoaka there is always the promise of a big Hemi or Meg tooth just waiting out there to be found. 

Happy hunting.

MatoakaHemi.jpg

MatoakaIcicles2.jpg

MatoakaIcicles.jpg

MatoakaIcicles3.jpg

MatoakaSnails.jpg

MatoakaFeb22Teeth.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 11

The beach is marvelous in winter.  Thanks for sharing your trip.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.