PODIGGER

Got back to the Peace River yesterday for a beautiful day of hunting.  Temps were in the mid eighties and I was able to go without the wetsuit for the first time this year. Found a lot of the usual teeth and bones along with this one that is new to me.  I believe it is a small medial phalanx.  It measures only 24mm long x 12mm wide tapering to 6mm with a noticeable hump or curve from end to end. After much research and ruling out several possibilities, just based on size, I found a document on line that I think is a match.  The Florida Museum of Natural History Bulletin, Vol 55 with an article on Pleistocene bird fossils seems to provide the ID as an eagle medial phalanx.  I tried without success to copy a photo of their specimen so I could provide it for comparison.  Here it is without the referenced pictures hoping that someone can confirm the ID.

Thanks!

thumbnail.jpeg.46402b187a3a5a08e6c2994425c1e279.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg.34dd0f076314779b2c7e58ef1a4168a1.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg.5b37826ab94718df3d63c812eae56781.jpeg

thumbnail-3.jpeg.c400b26ac568348b260ccee8304012a0.jpeg

thumbnail-4.jpeg.bbdf3a4550f08141f98d05cb72d76ed9.jpeg

thumbnail-5.jpeg.f37d6e3819ddcb031855a4b291902ab6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

I got back on the FL Museum website last night and was able to get a copy of their Bulletin #55 that has the photo I was referring to for the eagle ID.  I have attached the page here for comparison and welcome comments on whether it is a match.  C&D are the bone I am looking at.

Thanks!

1181054871_Eaglephalanx1.thumb.jpeg.ed444fc2b52be716ea5da0e6bfe572af.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

it is a very pretty bone, but I have never seen the kind of hollow concave surface that yours has.  Even looking at the reference photos I dont see a match. Hopefully real experts will take a look and give you their opinions.   @Shellseeker, @Harry Pristis, @Boesse and of course U of Florida .

3 hours ago, PODIGGER said:

Thank you Val Horn. Appreciate your input.

Here is a link for you, Jim...

It is not a raptor, but it is a phalanx of a Jaguar and my first and only bone that provides a location to accommodate a retractable claw.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/33065-claw-and-bone/

I think that you have a match, especially in the length of your eagle bone...

It is a great find, very unusual... Congrats!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks Jack! I had looked at that thread but thought my find was to small for jaguar. I now think your correct on the cat id with the groove for a retractable claw. Maybe a smaller cat? Panther? Bobcat? At 24mm long or just under 1” is juvenile jaguar the answer?

23 minutes ago, PODIGGER said:

Thanks Jack! I had looked at that thread but thought my find was to small for jaguar. I now think your correct on the cat id with the groove for a retractable claw. Maybe a smaller cat? Panther? Bobcat? At 24mm long or just under 1” is juvenile jaguar the answer?

Well , I think I was confirming toebones with recesses for retractable claw. Both eagle and jaguar have them. To be clear, I think you have Eagle. Let’s see what @Harry Pristis thinks

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks Harry. I found a research paper from South America that may be a match for eagle. Currently out on a photo shoot and will dig deeper when I get home. 

5 hours ago, val horn said:

?do eagles have retractable claws?

No, they do not, and neither does any other avian.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I found another possible match with an eagle on the FLMNH website.  As a result I sent the photos to Dr Hulbert for his input. He has identified the specimen as a toe bone of an eagle or large hawk. He advised that their in house bird expert has retired so an ID as to exact species was not available.

Thanks to all those who took the time to look and offer opinions.

Jim W.

• I found this Informative 3