Found on southeast Florida beach

Donna Mason-Smith

Hi, welcome on tff.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Interesting piece(s)?. How many are there? 4?

I'm not sold on there not being a fossil. They are certainly pretty beach worn!

The first picture shows some speckling that I cant tell if its due to individual lighter/darker mineral grains or they represent pores like you might see in bone or possibly even cells in some wood.

The 2nd picture shows elongated and round small holes in the lighter area which make me think maybe bone. 

3rd and 4th pictures arent real clear but I think I see elongated holes/maybe even a splintery texture--maybe they are boney but I just cant tell.  I can see why Podigger said non-fossil but from just these photos I cant be sure. 

Keep collecting! Continued hunting success! 

Regards, Chris 

• I Agree 1

• New Members

The first 2 pictures are of one piece is a little over an ounce in weight. Looks porous. I am adding a photo of the fast end of it that looks a like it could be the joint end. I put water on it and the light side seemed to be absorbent. 

The second item it hard and glossy, 1 oz. And looks like bone to me. Would the color and density indicate a fossilized none? It is not absorbent.

Teach me more! Thank you. Is there is a book to study that would help?

Thank you all!

IMG_20220301_104352274.jpg

Thanks for the additional info/pics. As Plax has suggested above probably all worn bone pieces. 

If the first piece isnt completed mineralized it could very well absorb water in that lighter porous area. Color and density can come from the mineral replacement during burial/some browns come from all the tanins in the local rivers/streams down here. 

As for learning more. Looks thru all the ID threads on the forum and you'll learn all kinds of things. Looks at members galleries and the database we have.

I'd recommend joining a club if possible. Some you can do online but its fun to go to mtgs and with the covid stuff relaxing to get out on a trip and find stuff and have local folks tell you what you are finding.

The UF Nat Hist folks have a bunch of great info/pages and one that lists some of the current clubs--fossil, shell and rock/mineral all get you out and have lots of experienced members. 

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/invertpaleo/resources/floridas-clubs/

That page also mentions getting a fossil license for vertebrate collecting. 

You might want to check out the Amelia Island Museum's page as well. I've never been there and dont know if they have any fossil/rock/shell displays.

https://ameliamuseum.org/

They have an online database of pictures of the variety of stuff they've found over there that you can browse thru without going anywhere.

https://ameliaisland.pastperfectonline.com/search

If you search by the word fossil you can look at general entries like this below or more specific types of critters. 

image.png.fa02c21f2199be0ed22905f6e1235312.png

As for books, some of the clubs have libraries you can borrow from as a member and so do regular local libraries. There are bunch of books that cover fossils in general and/or more specifically Florida finds. They'll talk about how something might become a fossil and give examples/show photos of what you can find and talk about the ages of the rocks and the fossils within.

I've got many books, but four that I can show you quickly are..... Hulbert's is the most thorough-college text book like! and has lots of the very detailed explanations of all of the critters. I've still not made it thru all of the details!! May be too much for starters but I like it most. 

image.thumb.png.f73f363c44254276f4f1269d167a2ad9.png

Well enough of the long winded answers as I'm prone to do... Have fun looking for more stuff!. 

Regards, Chris   

• I found this Informative 1

• New Members

Thank you, Chris. You have given me a lot to learn from. This will keep me busy quite a while! Awesome!

Donna

On 3/8/2022 at 8:29 PM, Donna Mason-Smith said:

Thank you, Chris. You have given me a lot to learn from. This will keep me busy quite a while! Awesome!

Donna

Glad to help!

Regards, Chris