Mazon Creek Freeze/Thaw

TyrannosaurusRex

Howdy folks. I had a question about soaking mazon creek nodules before starting the freezing process. I’ve had mine soaking in water for 2 days (prior to the first freeze, will be several more days), and there seems to be oil on the surface of the water. Is this normal, or is it something I should be concerned about? This is my first time doing this, and I just want to make sure I’m doing it right. 

It is just plain water, I’ve added nothing else to it. 

458659C0-16AE-4F60-89B2-D8F0AF877D59.thumb.jpeg.80bed202d5991871db91d7eb1fcb76c5.jpeg

Thank you!!!

Yeah, I have noticed that concretions from certain areas tend to release an oily residue. 

• I found this Informative 2

Sure its oily? Looks like a thin film of "iron hydroxide" on the water, formed by the oxidation of dissolved iron sulfate. Iron sulfate may come from rotting pyrite/marcasite associated with the nodule or the dirt adhering to it.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 5

They were pretty filthy, yes, I cleaned them off just with a brush prior to being in the water. Thank you for the information! Very odd to see it on the surface of the water. I am excited to have them going in the background though, it’s a great thing to look forward to during school. 

2 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Sure its oily? Looks like a thin film of "iron hydroxide" on the water, formed by the oxidation of dissolved iron sulfate. Iron sulfate may come from rotting pyrite/marcasite associated with the nodule or the dirt adhering to it.

Franz Bernhard

It looks oily, but I know different things could cause that appearance so perhaps it is indeed not oil. Thank you so much for the info! That’s really useful. 

thank you all for your replies! Im relieved it’s not an issue. 

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Franz Bernhard

Thanks Franz! That would be a good explanation for it. 

• Thank You 1

One other explanation might be the bucket itself, what was held in the bucket or was it a newly purchased one. I use to use buckets that held pickles, etc., this was before home improvement stores started selling buckets with the logo on them, either way I would not worry about it.

• I found this Informative 1

9 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

One other explanation might be the bucket itself, what was held in the bucket or was it a newly purchased one. I use to use buckets that held pickles, etc., this was before home improvement stores started selling buckets with the logo on them, either way I would not worry about it.

Thanks for the additional info. It’s a food  grade Tupperware bowl, so hopefully, its just the dirt causing it. 

thank you so much!

7 hours ago, deutscheben said:

Yeah, I have noticed that concretions from certain areas tend to release an oily residue. 

You are right Ben. I have had the dark/black concretions from an area of the creek that is notoriously oily, and also have a petroleum scent. I believe it to be coal related.

Phil 

• I found this Informative 1

Just change the water every couple of days. It will stop eventually. Soak them for at least 10 days before you start to freeze/thaw. Freeze overnight, thaw during the day is my favorite and gets you into a rhythm you can remember -- kind of like shaving or brushing your teeth. That way you'll forget to take them out and put them back in the freezer less often.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 3/7/2022 at 8:04 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

Just change the water every couple of days. It will stop eventually. Soak them for at least 10 days before you start to freeze/thaw. Freeze overnight, thaw during the day is my favorite and gets you into a rhythm you can remember -- kind of like shaving or brushing your teeth. That way you'll forget to take them out and put them back in the freezer less often.

I’ve left them soaking for quite some time now, thanks to the advice of the members here, thank you! Still a few more days to go. 

However, the oily/or oily appearing residue has stopped appearing in water changes. 

Thank you all so much for your advice!

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1