Small Cannon bone

Shellseeker

I was out hunting fossils yesterday and was quite successful, although many of the finds were covered with algae, concretions and unusually stained.  There were fewer small shark teeth and many larger, broken, fragmented mammal bones. Found a number of Equus,  camel, and possibly modern calf teeth... damaged and encrusted.  

The larger bones potentially identifiable are most interesting.

IMG_4801.thumb.JPEG.81018a6f2ee556d5ba3c4951ae8cbf41.JPEG

That's a couple of Camel (likely Hemiauchenia.sp) Metatarsal 3s in the left middle. a phalanx and very small Ulna in the right middle of the photo.  For this thread, I am interested in identifying the mammal that produced this fossil below. It is 180 mm long Cannon bone.  Sometimes called a Metacarpal3 or Metatarsal3... Comparing to the Hemiauchenia Metatarsals in the above photo,  this bone comes from a much smaller mammal. IMG_4790ce.thumb.jpg.b877bdd318acebca0e7612893aaedab7.jpgIMG_4791ce.thumb.jpg.103d27f4fc7c9c8194921a99856fc5f1.jpg

Here is the end of the bone, which is usually diagnostic. The narrow part of the bone (around 120 mm in the above photo) is 14 mm high and 16 mm wide.

IMG_4793ce2.thumb.jpg.44369f2e2bf625ec0c155e4b41846f9a.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

24 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

It appears to be a deer metatarsal.

Thanks,  Harry.. It is always good to have an accurate Identification for a fossil.  Not quite what I had hoped (tridactly or smallest Camelid),  but always good to have a candidate to check in the future. I try to use the UFMNH Database, but in many cases it does not include the photos of the proximal and distal ends.   Jack

Just pulled this photo. Would have been easier if I had found it first.  Live and learn.  

vp_uf276349proxDeer.thumb.jpg.2005d095dd672cfe5a1cbdf0ef496b93.jpg

Edited by Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

20 minutes ago, Brandy Cole said:

Congrats on the hall. Looks like you made some great finds!

3 minutes ago, Family Fun said:

Amazing finds Jack!   

Thanks !!! The long bones at the top of the photo are Baleen whale jaws..  The bigger one is the entire tip of a mandible.

This is actually the enjoyable part... identifying finds... I have that Proximal Phalanx, and the Ulna to work on , maybe Monday

• Enjoyed 1

Haha, I’m still working on the amazing finds, then I can work on the identification part. 

But I cannot express enough how helpful/ smart the folks on this forum are with helping.  

Harry seems to nail it, almost 100% of the time and your experience and knowledge amazes me.   

Nice haul!

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana