Crocodile Jaws?

SafariSam

The museum gift shop I work in has this labeled as "Crocodile Jaw Fossil". Is it? It's from the previous manager who was notorious for mislabeled fossils. Appears to be remounted on Moroccan material. Please help!

20220316_132901.jpg

20220316_132903.jpg

20220316_132906.jpg

20220316_132911.jpg

OMG!

But the teeth could be sold individually, some of them look really nice.

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

OMG!

But the teeth could be sold individually, some of them look really nice.

Franz Bernhard

Do you think it's a Croc?

Teeth have been remounted, but you’ve got bone there that’s real that the teeth have been attached to. Very nice teeth. Could you please provide a size reference with a ruler?

• Enjoyed 1

1 minute ago, TyrannosaurusRex said:

Teeth have been remounted, but you’ve got bone there that’s real that the teeth have been attached to. Very nice teeth. Could you please provide a size reference with a ruler?

I will if I can. Gotta find a ruler first lol. I have measuring tape in my car. Should brought it in! Any idea on species?

10 minutes ago, SafariSam said:

Do you think it's a Croc?

Sorry, I know nothing about this kind of fossils, but as far as I have learned here, these are mosasaur teeth? These teeth are quite abundant there, than some bones and mortar are taken - and here you are! These composites are super common.

Franz Bernhard

• Thank You 1

1 minute ago, FranzBernhard said:

Sorry, I know nothing about this kind of fossils, but as far as I have learned here, these are mosasaur teeth? These teeth are quite abundant there, than some bones and mortar are taken - and here you are! These composites are super common.

Franz Bernhard

I thought the same exact thing, that's why I came here lol. I know it's recounted and composite and stuff, but it still looks VERY cool so I'm willing to drop the $$$$ on it. As an employee I get 20% off.

I was thinking mosasaur as well, but they’re definitely not the usual platecarpus teeth I see remounted here. 

• I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SafariSam said:

but it still looks VERY cool so I'm willing to drop the $$$$

If you like it, go for it! You already know that stuff. For the teeth, please wait for comments of more informed members.

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1

1 minute ago, TyrannosaurusRex said:

I was thinking mosasaur as well, but they’re definitely not the usual platecarpus teeth I see remounted here. 

Agreed my friend. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, A.C. said:

I could see it being a Prognathodon currii (If indeed it is mosasaur) 

Thank you! I'll look into it promptly.

2 minutes ago, SafariSam said:

Thank you! I'll look into it promptly.

I am no moroccan expert but this is different than the one moroccan mosasaur I have in my collection (I do not have an ID on mine). From what I have read Croc teeth tend to be a bit wider and have more of a rounded shape to them, though as with anything it is not a telltale distinction (Example: Prognathodon currii , Globidens). I am sure it will be obvious to some of the amazing experts here on the forum. But do not rule Croc out completely as Crocs and Mosasaurs are commonly found together. 

Interested to see the expert conclusions

• Enjoyed 1

8 minutes ago, A.C. said:

I am no moroccan expert but this is different than the one moroccan mosasaur I have in my collection (I do not have an ID on mine). From what I have read Croc teeth tend to be a bit wider and have more of a rounded shape to them, though as with anything it is not a telltale distinction (Example: Prognathodon currii , Globidens). I am sure it will be obvious to some of the amazing experts here on the forum. But do not rule Croc out completely as Crocs and Mosasaurs are commonly found together. 

Interested to see the expert conclusions

Same here. I'm getting it either way since it looks cool. I just want to know what to label it

• Enjoyed 1

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow pretty bad if being sold in a museum store.  Everything looks like its been placed on the matrix and teeth composited to the jaws.  The jaw bones look like they might be croc but the images are not the best to see them.  The teeth look mostly like croc but without a better provenance its hard to say much more.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Wow pretty bad if being sold in a museum store.  Everything looks like its been placed on the matrix and teeth composited to the jaws.  The jaw bones look like they might be croc but the images are not the best to see them.  The teeth look mostly like croc but without a better provenance its hard to say much more.

Don't worry it's been MUCH better since management changed. Last manager bought a plaster trilobite and thought it was real. Tried to sell it for 700. Luckily the new manager has some sense!

Looks to me like a typical Moroccan mosasaur jaw. You can easily see the lighter colored matrix that was used as fill between the badly worn jaw material (assuming that is actually real) and the teeth that have been composited into this piece of art. These are way out of my fossil bailiwick and I couldn't tell crocodilian teeth from mosasaurian (though these do look more blunt than those that some up with this image search):

https://www.google.com/search?q=moroccan+mosasaur+jaw&tbm=isch

Either way it really isn't something that should be being sold in a museum gift shop. Individual Moroccan shark teeth or mosasaur teeth (both highly plentiful and inexpensive fossils) are commonly found in gift shops and I have no problem with something inexpensive that parents will purchase for kids who have a desire for some large teeth. Artful composites are all to plentiful at the rock/fossil shows in the Moroccan booths but I don't feel that a museum gift shop should be peddling these--my personal opinion. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Big oof.

This is garbage in its current state really. Just another ugly composite that doesn't look anything like an actual jaw would normally. Some seemingly random jaw pieces mounted on matrix and teeth added to it that do not fit at all. Then lots of glue and sand added to hide the crimes.

It's really a shame because it looks like both the jaw pieces as well as the teeth look like they might be reasonably nice, if they were isolated. The jaw pieces look like they might be long to a croc. The teeth look like mosasaur teeth. Probably from either Globidens Prognathodon, or a mix. Most of the teeth seem to be Prognathodon currii.

These pieces should be prepped out of the terrible framing and maybe, hopefully some of the jaw pieces fit together. Otherwise they'd make decent separate pieces.

• I Agree 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Hi,

For the rule, look in my signature.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg