Help identifying possible fossil

Psmk2

• New Members

I found this oddity a while ago on a rocky beach. Im not sure what it is.  It could be a fossil but I'm more thinking it's some kind of ancient pottery or stoneware due to the pattern. It looks like the same pattern continues round what might have been a plate. There was know roman habitation in the area where it was found...any ideas?

20220322_092310.jpg     20220321_205057.jpg

20220321_205118.jpg    20220321_205126.jpg

Looks like sandstone with a leftover impression from a pebble or concretion to me. I don't think that this is an artifact, and it certainly isn't a fossil in my opinion.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• New Members

Thanks for the reply...but if you look carefully at the edge you can see there was an identical shape where it was broken off.... also the edge is pitted in a kind of pattern...I thought it might be an impression but there are 2 almost identical shapes ..... surely too much of a coincidence.....or maybe your right

16479448532302610149439531972252.jpg

These shapes are seen where carbonate concretion has weathered out. I was once shown a "track way" that I was quite confident was actually a concentration of them.

• I Agree 1

These look like gastrochaenid burrows to me. The view is of half sections of the burrow. They can be fossil or modern.

• I found this Informative 1