Texas Fossils - Cow teeth?

johnnyvaldez7.jv

Found this fragment on a gravel bank in SE Texas, is it cow? Man I wish I could find a carnivore section like this. Why are those so hard to find? I've yet to even find a bone other than the one canine. I certainly have patience and nothing but time but it'd sure be nice. I love seeing what everyone post on here. It's such a great place.

20220327_164425.jpg

20220327_164437.jpg

20220327_164448.jpg

20220327_164459.jpg

20220327_164513.jpg

20220327_164612.jpg

20220327_164608.jpg

20220327_164600.jpg

That's a really nice find! Looks to me to be a bison jaw, and even though the teeth being white would lead most people to believe that it's modern and cow rather than bison, they have that shine to the enamel that I've only ever seen on fossilized teeth (not the most scientific answer I know). The isolated stylids (the thin tube-like structure running along the crease of each tooth) are also the main feature used to distinguish cow from bison teeth, as normally the stylids are connected to the rest of the tooth in cows. 

Awesome! I agree with Bison. 

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

2 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Young cow.  Those are deciduous teeth.

Do young cows also have stylids?

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Thank you all for replying and sharing your knowledge. Two years ago I was but a simple man working on a 33,000 acre ranch with zero thoughts on fossils and how to discover them...until I did. And since then collecting them has been a passion. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to read up and study on how to differentiate what I'm sharing in my posts.  Work and family are my life.  But I read what you guys write...and I save the pictures for references that you provide. I'm gonna get this new language down...the scientific terms. And I hope in the future one day I'll be knowledgeable enough to get it right or at least know where to look and compare.  And I really, really do appreciate and admire the knowledge you guys are willing to share with us new guys. I have a collection that I'm sharing here...yes, to see what they might be but also to share my finds with others in the hopes it might be of interest and to display what we have in our part of the country. I'm gonna learn this new language because this is what I enjoy doing. These fossils had life once and it is important to me to ID them correctly. If I get it wrong, thank you for taking the time to correct me. 

Edited by johnnyvaldez7.jv
  • Enjoyed 5

@johnnyvaldez7.jv

I've really enjoyed looking at your finds, and I love seeing what people find here in our corner of the world.  This forum is a great resource.  I started hunting about a year and a half or two years ago when my sister-in-law found a couple of fossils near where I live, and I got hooked.  Like you, I started out with very little knowledge of what I was finding, but the forum has helped tremendously with that.  I find that I don't have to post as often as I used to now. You really hit the nail on the head. It's like learning a new language.

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1