Texas Fossil - Humerus?

johnnyvaldez7.jv

Looking online I think this is a humerus...worn down but it's heavy...and big. Bison maybe? Found it on a gravel bank here in SE Texas.

20220329_235205.jpg

20220329_234722.jpg

20220329_234711.jpg

20220329_234644.jpg

20220329_234530.jpg

20220329_235040.jpg

This one is interesting to me.  

Can you give us a straight on view of the large end of the bone?  It looks very worn but another view there may be useful.

Maybe I'm way off base but it almost reminds me of an equus femur that's had the condyles broken off. Here's a post from today and then and older post with examples.

Hey Brandy sorry haven't made it home yet but I'll send the straight end view as soon as i get there. I did see that picture from that post and thought the same thing. But I'll still send it for review. Thank you 

• Enjoyed 1

Have you looked at mammoth or mastodon? It would have to be a juvenile, but it would explain why the ends are gone, if the epiphyseal plate hadn't closed.

• I found this Informative 2

On 3/31/2022 at 8:02 PM, Brandy Cole said:

Maybe I'm way off base but it almost reminds me of an equus femur that's had the condyles broken off. Here's a post from today and then and older post with examples.

I think that Equus is a good guess for some of these posted images, but I am uncertain about the OP's bone which is missing its ends.  I think I was confused about which bone Brandy was asking about.

horse humerus.JPG

horsehumerus3views.jpg

Edited by Harry Pristis
To correct the reference.
  • I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

On 3/31/2022 at 1:21 PM, Brandy Cole said:

This one is interesting to me.  

Can you give us a straight on view of the large end of the bone?  It looks very worn but another view there may be useful.

Worn  ?... just saying.  I am thinking of the long bones I pull out of the Peace River... This one has a fantastic patina..

Mine usually are worn smooth by 25000 years of water erosion, Dugong ribs are the worst, but they go back into the Pliocene.  To get this level of detail, I have to be searching creeks...or land.

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

@Shellseeker You're right, I should have specified.  I meant that the ends didn't have condyles or the definition that I was hoping to see to help with an ID.  The patina is great!

• I Agree 1

On 3/30/2022 at 12:12 AM, johnnyvaldez7.jv said:

Looking online I think this is a humerus...worn down but it's heavy...and big. Bison maybe? Found it on the Colorado River on a gravel bank here in SE Texas.

20220329_234530.jpg

I am still having trouble seeing this view belonging to a horse humerus or femur.

@Harry Pristis @Brandy Cole

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

19 minutes ago, johnnyvaldez7.jv said:

How about a Columbian mammoth femur...maybe a juvenile?

I agree with @Harry Pristis that this has morphology suggesting it is a humerus.  I haven't ruled out juvenile mammoth.

@johnnyvaldez7.jv can you post a short video rotating it?

Based on the video, photos, and comparison to my mammoth humerus, I think it is a partial juvenile Proboscidean humerus.  If this piece is about 12 inches (30.5 cm), the whole bone might have been over 28 inches (71 cm).

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

If all these Pleistocene finds you've been making do indeed only come from a small stretch of bank, then there's very likely a large Pleistocene bone bed not too far upstream, where perhaps you can find associated materials. I urge you to check it out before natures grindstone wears the site(s) away.

• I Agree 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg