Kathi

The only information I have about one of these is that it is a pond turtle shells and came with other Miocene aged fossils. Help please and thank you

pond turtle shell 2.jpg

323289969_pondturtle2shellflip.jpg

1702347726_PondTurtleShellstudio.jpg

1247598569_PondTurtleShellReverse.JPG

The first one looks like a partial crocodilian osteoderm to me, not turtle. See some examples in the reference image below.

Fig4Alligatorolseni.jpg.6070967cb12bcc0dcc603b0bb4d23c09.jpg 

Source:

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/species/alligator-olseni/

• I found this Informative 1

26B2365E-C2A3-4793-8E5B-68584EA0756E.png.746d948d15a718f5153ab32b60a87ff9.png 8FC20729-9038-47AC-82BA-A7FECC35384D.png.659f2af2a4de08ccc258f7609cf5efeb.png
“The worse the country, the more tortured it is by water and wind, the more broken and carved, the more it attracts fossil hunters, who depend on the planet to open itself to us. We can only scratch away at what natural forces have brought to the surface.”
- Jack Horner

1 hour ago, Opabinia Blues said:

The first one looks like a partial crocodilian osteoderm to me, not turtle.

Indeed. The honeycomb texturing does look a lot like an crocodilian osteoderm but the bottoms of those are usually very smooth and flat. Softshell turtles (Apalone sp.) have very textured outer surfaces. Your object is quite worn and it might possibly be from a softshell:

https://www.google.com/search?q=apalone+carapace+fossil&tbm=isch

Agreed, that the second one is definitely a ray dermal denticle. 

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

the bottom side of the first one is certainly not croc scute.  Croc scutes and soft shell turtle shell pieces can be tough to tell apart when they get worn like this one, but I am in the soft shell camp.  

• Enjoyed 1