Show us your oligocene/white river fossils

Randyw

6 minutes ago, jpc said:

nice specimens.  (Blurry pix).  :(

Larry is doing what he can.  He doesn't consider himself even an amateur photographer but he thinks there should be more Badlands stuff on the board.  He did take a very nice shot of the Agriochoerus maxilla piece.

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, siteseer said:

Larry is doing what he can.  He doesn't consider himself even an amateur photographer but he thinks there should be more Badlands stuff on the board.  He did take a very nice shot of the Agriochoerus maxilla piece.

Better blurry pics then no pics! Thanks for the pictures and for posting them! Great team effort!

On 8/25/2022 at 3:10 PM, Randyw said:

Better blurry pics then no pics! Thanks for the pictures and for posting them! Great team effort!

That's what I think too.  Let's see more Badlands stuff!

Here's a left maxilla of Merycoidodon, an oreodont genus, with M1-3 (1st, 2nd and 3rd upper molars).  It's from the Brule Formation (Orellan Land Mammal Age), of Niobrara County, Wyoming.

@fossillarry also added a photo of this Merycoidodon specimen next to the Agriochoerus (bottom of the previous page) so you could see the size difference in one shot.

merycoid1.jpg

mery_agrio_comp.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • Enjoyed 3

Here's a Merycoidodon (oreodont) lower jaw from the Brule Formation (Orellan Land Mammal Age), of Niobrara County, Wyoming.  Oreodonts were artiodactyls known only from North America with no obvious close relatives other than agriochoerids.  Oreodonts appeared in the Middle Eocene and became common during the Early Oligocene and survived into the Early Miocene but their remains are rare finds in the Middle Miocene, last known from the Late Miocene.

merycoid_lwr.jpg

Edited by siteseer
clarification
  • Enjoyed 3

This is a right jaw of Agriochoerus from the Early Oligocene (Orellan) of Sioux County Nebraska.

agrio_lwr.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Here is a shot of the above Agriochoerus (left) and Merycoidodon (right) jaws so you can see them side-by-side.

merycoid_agrio_pair.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Here are a few Agriochoerus unguals (terminal phalanx in the form of a hoof or claw).  Agriochoerus had claws instead of hooves - rather unusual in an artiodactyl.  These are from the Early Oligocene (Orellan) of South Dakota and they're 18-19mm long.

agrio_ungual.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

This is a shot of an anthracothere maxilla (top) plus the Agriochoerus (lower left) and Merycoidodon (lower right) maxillae so you can see the similarities in the molars and the differences in the premolars.

anthraco_oreos.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Great comparison shots! Any chance of a side view?

• 1 year later...

I thought I would restart this with some of my rarer Brule FM fossils I’m exited to see what other people have too.

Hyenodon

image.thumb.jpg.6e15a1a03041bb0f87467a672003167d.jpg

Ischyromys

image.thumb.jpg.e1f82086f91511d7ae684a63ab0fee21.jpg
image.thumb.jpg.83ba82a1cac9dbd7b9fe7508bf62d039.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.2471bac3c89eb193d29fb14410eb7841.jpg

Bothriodon

image.thumb.jpg.3f2ff63a9c696bbeaaf5426206ed0d55.jpg

Entolodont

image.thumb.jpg.3655f5b965f25c2b79b8f9a6adfb8af4.jpg

Hesperocyon 

image.thumb.jpg.1a915e162488201e2010a6f8556995a0.jpg

Edited by Danielb

I was also wondering if anyone here had any Bothriodon material to show or if they could let me in on some information about them?