Cp-9361 Airscribe

mucrospirifer

• New Members

I recently purchased a chicago pneumatic airscribe off of ebay and it did not come with instructions. I would like to change the tip to the chisel tip but cannot figure out how to do it. There was a prior post that linked to a manual, but it isn't the easiest to understand. Can anybody direct me on how to change the tip? Many thanks. PS a picture is attached to this post.

post-2980-12694041253419_thumb.jpg

Edited by mucrospirifer

Mucrospirifer.....I dont know the model but!....Just below the on off thumbgrip it should unscrew with a right hand thread.... Its a good fit with close fitting machine tolerances so make sure you get a good grip by hand above and below the on off knurled section.... I cant see anyone tightening it with tools... but you never know... go very careful.... once undone the tip should simply slide out of the lower section.... each tip will have a couple of small rubber washers on maybe as well, which if there isnt any on the other tip your changing to... swop them over as well......let us know how you get on...

Like I said be careful.....

I just took a picture its easier.... a picture tells a thousand words as they say

post-1630-12694227493838_thumb.jpg

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I cant remember, I think the front end is called a 'bushing' and you need a bushing that goes with a chisle bit. The standard one lets the tip go around in a circle as you are prepping, but with the chisle bit you need it to stay strait and not turn. You should call up Murrey at paleotools and see if his parts will fit your chicago? That just work. Good luck

RB

• New Members

Thanks guys. I did happen to get it apart...and quite safely at that. I guess the guy who owned it before me must have tightened it up really really well. It took two ajdustable wrenches and a little bit of elbow grease just to get it apart. Changing the tip wasn't that bad. Thankfully my CP came with an additional set of tips, and the chisel bit has a special slot to keep it from spinning, so I'm all ready to start working on fossils. Now I just need to learn how to prepare them without messing up. Thanks again for the tips.

post-2980-1269469281659_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. I did happen to get it apart...and quite safely at that. I guess the guy who owned it before me must have tightened it up really really well. It took two ajdustable wrenches and a little bit of elbow grease just to get it apart. Changing the tip wasn't that bad. Thankfully my CP came with an additional set of tips, and the chisel bit has a special slot to keep it from spinning, so I'm all ready to start working on fossils. Now I just need to learn how to prepare them without messing up. Thanks again for the tips.

Hey mucro, most people have more patience than i do, so with a little practice I think you will do very nicely. The hard part is trying to find those super nice fossils to prep? Good luck

RB