Mosasaur jaw, real or fake?

Matthew1997

• New Members

Hello all, 

This is my first post, looking for a little help? I am interested in buying this mosasaur jaw but i am unsure if it is real? (I have attached some screenshots, I have made sure they don't mention ad name or seller details)  I have a few little red flags. Looking deeper into the photos, I cannot tell if there is matrix between the crown and root.

Thanks in advance for any help :) 

Screenshot_20220412-205117_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220412-205128_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220412-205100_Chrome.jpg

Hi! Welcome to the Fossil Forum!

So, I can say with near certainty that the teeth are real. The jaw does look different from the usual fake Mosasaur jaws. Does the seller show any pics of the back? Close ups of the Matrix?

The tell for me that it is real is usually bits and pieces of other fossil material/ other particles in the matrix vs just a uniform "sandstone".

The seller should send some more photos from different angles/ close ups if you ask them. That would definitely help!

It might be okay, but you really have to take a guilty until proven innocent stance on these. Hopefully someone else can shed some more light.

I think you are dealing with composited teeth.  That grey area under the crown and root is not natural.

il_794xN.3809439351_ixjj.jpg.68448fccae9d57704e4209645556f234.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

• New Members

Thanks for your advice guys, much appreciated. I have attached one more photo of the matrix incase thats helps. But I think ill air on the side of caution and give this one a miss. 

Screenshot_20220412-220342_Chrome.jpg