Texas Fossil -Big vertebra?

johnnyvaldez7.jv

I found this today here in SE Texas...the river is down so I thought I'd check the same ole spot...found a bunch of pieces and this cool little one. Actually it's a decent size...hadn't found one of these yet...I just don't know what it is or what it might be from? It's about 4.5 inches total length...could it be bison or something else as big? I took a top, front, back, and bottom picture...then a whole bunch from different views cause I really didn't know how to place it best for an ID.  Edit: could it be a cervical vertebra to something?

20220412_232706.jpg

20220412_232002.jpg

20220412_232110.jpg

20220412_232415.jpg

20220412_232540.jpg

20220412_232934.jpg

20220412_232906.jpg

20220412_232838.jpg

20220412_233039.jpg

20220412_233030.jpg

20220412_233022.jpg

20220412_233053.jpg

20220412_233057.jpg

20220412_233104.jpg

20220412_233134.jpg

20220412_233120.jpg

20220412_233111.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

ID aside- I must say it's nice seeing so many fantastically clear and structured photos in fossil id this regularly now

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

• johnnyvaldez7.jv changed the title to Texas Fossil -Big vertebrae?

It's a nice sized vertebra.  Looks to me to be a cervical (neck) vertebra. Identifying vertebra to species, especially partial ones, can be tough.

Not sure of ID, but in terms of orienting it,  what you might call the 'front' or the cranial side, (the side that would point toward the head) is your twelfth picture down.  But rather than have the bulbous part on the right hand side of the photo it would typically go bottom center.

Here's a picture just for comparison to show how a vertebra would normally be oriented in pictures.

I agree with Jared. Your pictures are always high quality and enjoyable.  Hope this helps with the orientation question.

The three views shown are a) top (dorsal), b) front (cranial), and c) back (ventral).

animals-10-00667-g006-550~2.jpg

• I Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Brandy Cole said:

Hope this helps with the orientation question.

Like, the way a shotgun helps with that whole aiming thing ? :)

• Enjoyed 1

@Rockwood

Yikes, sorry.  

Guess I was still half asleep when I posted.

A is ventral view and B and C are cranial views of different vertebra. All horse.

7 minutes ago, Brandy Cole said:

@Rockwood

Yikes, sorry.  

Guess I was still half asleep when I posted.

A is ventral view and B and C are cranial views of different vertebra. All horse.

No. You had it right. I noticed that my response kind of came out reversed. It's all in good fun though.

• Enjoyed 1

@Rockwood  I was just horrified to realize how badly I mis-labeled the picture! No more posting without coffee from now on! :rolleyes: 

And I'm pretty sure shotgun metaphors are always appropriate in Texas. :TongueOut:

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Texas Fossil -Big vertebra?

Well, that is a nice piece.  @Brandy Cole is correct, it looks like a cervical vertebrae of a relatively large animal.  It looks too elongated to be a cow (and therefore probably a bison also, but I'd have to look closer at some online pictures).  It has more of a horse shape to it.  A little later on I'll take the pictures out and see if I can line it up with a horse or perhaps rule that out.  Unfortunately, my comparative collection on large animals is pretty limited :headscratch:

• Enjoyed 1

32 minutes ago, ClearLake said:

It has more of a horse shape to it.  A little later on I'll take the pictures out and see if I can line it up with a horse or perhaps rule that out. 

I knew you could make a comparative observation on horse.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ