Bone shaped by humans or natural?

Nbl

I found this piece of bone along the beach in The Netherlands, I have had it for a while but wanted to put it up on the forum to ask whether it was shaped by humans or natural wear by the sea (natural was my thought when i found it but the point relatively symmetrical especially for something shaped by the sea - so just wanted other peoples thoughts. Thanks so much.

92D685A5-3092-4E20-B9C5-658FEBDE1927.jpeg

73BE9B3B-E529-4BE7-9F10-E3329405B440.jpeg

6A02A46C-6B57-4958-9A26-E40166FE5665.jpeg

4E4A2A0F-A9BD-471E-87C4-F46620FA063D.jpeg

7390B3D9-AFA1-476F-8060-AC1B8E9F3309.jpeg

313EB56E-514F-410D-BFB3-83E2BEC520A9.jpeg

Edited by Nbl
Add photo

Was it found at Zandmotor?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It looks like it's been shaped by a human; not only symmetry, but a blood groove too.  However, most marine tools are barbed.  Maybe the barbed portion was to the rear of the break, or maybe the barb was tied on.  Or maybe I'm full of it and it's natural.  

7 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Was it found at Zandmotor?

Edit : i do remeber I found it among shells at a vacation resort in the netherlands - there were fresh path made lined with shells - amongst the shells i went in search of fossils - i found fossilized   horse teeth  (one regular size one very small) and this bone - and a few smaller fossils - there is a chance the shells were dredged up from the north sea (same place zandmotor sand comes from) but not sure. 

(i have to admit that I cant remember - but I want to say it was in Zeeland (borssele - maybe cadzand (both known for fossils but not specifically  prehistoric  - although i have found fossilized antler at cadzand)

Edited by Nbl
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, HuckMucus said:

It looks like it's been shaped by a human; not only symmetry, but a blood groove too.  However, most marine tools are barbed.  Maybe the barbed portion was to the rear of the break, or maybe the barb was tied on.  Or maybe I'm full of it and it's natural.  

Thank you!

Sorry. I see several possible explanations for this shape that would not be human related. The groove could be where a vessel passage had been in a larger bone, and the pits tooth marks from another animal. It could have been crushed in surf before bivalve bored into it for a couple examples.

• I Agree 2

I would look for tool marks under a bright light and magnifier/. 

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

45 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Sorry. I see several possible explanations for this shape that would not be human related. The groove could be where a vessel passage had been in a larger bone, and the pits tooth marks from another animal. It could have been crushed in surf before bivalve bored into it for a couple examples.

thank you!

22 minutes ago, hemipristis said:

I would look for tool marks under a bright light and magnifier/. 

will do thank you