Texas Fossil - Big horse tooth

johnnyvaldez7.jv

I've been wanting to break down each horse tooth I have and try to identify them...Brandy had me going back to look at my teeth to see if there was anything special about them. Actually , they're all special to me but I never really thought about each one or really any of them possibly being from a different type of horse.  So I'll be going over different ones separately because they're all so different starting with this BIG ONE. It's huge compared to the others...so are the other horse teeth juvenile and this a normal tooth? It's just much bigger and I can't figure out why...it definitely has wear on the ends where an ID might be impossible. The other teeth are relatively similar in size but this thing was on some serious steroids. Jk..Or.. am I way off and this is from something else?? The markings that I can see don't seem to compare to anything similar as to the last image of the tooth next to it...which itself is a big tooth but still smaller than this one.  Found on a gravel bank in SE Texas. Edit: So I did read they Equus Giganteus did exist in Texas and that there may have been an even larger horse E. Enormis.

20220415_234806.jpg

20220415_234849.jpg

20220415_234900.jpg

20220415_235006.jpg

20220415_234959.jpg

20220415_235009.jpg

20220415_235019.jpg

20220415_234919.jpg

20220415_235336.jpg

20220415_235344.jpg

20220415_235355.jpg

20220415_235459.jpg

20220415_235532.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

Johnny,

You are asking what seems to be simple questions,  but the answers are incredibly complex.

Does a Clydesdale have larger teeth than an Abaco ?

https://helponhorseisle.weebly.com/horse-breeds.html

Is Hagerman Horse the same species as Equus.?..

https://www.nps.gov/articles/000/equus_simplicidens.htm

Not an easy question for even scientists to agree upon.  @Harry Pristis or @fossillarry will definitely have better views than I do.... What is the lineage of horses from the Pliocene to current?

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I see there was Equus Scotti...smaller than Equus Caballus which is about the same size as a modern day horse but then there was a Equus Giganteus which was a North American horse...but with info I found online...other than its size...I don't see a tooth from that to compare even though mine is still pretty busted up..and it only says North American and I'm not sure it includes Texas. And I know even tho my tooth looks old...perhaps it isn't and it could be more recent or modern...but it still overshadows the others more commonly found by me anyway. Do any other Texans have a tooth this size and robust?

Edited by johnnyvaldez7.jv

Can't help with ID - but there are some beautiful specimens in that bunch. Nice finds

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

The big tooth looks newly erupted…. Not much wear on the occlusal. I have lots of Texas horse teeth. There can definitely be a lot of variation in size

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

Thanks Gary,

I was reading that permanent teeth start to erupt around 1 year of age and continue until around 5 years of age. I also read this part that says, 'However, the teeth wear will vary for individual horses, breed, diet, health condition, and behaviors.  This is why you cannot accurately determine the horse’s age based on the changes due to wear.'