Bone marine late cretaceous

val horn

Found a piece of a small bone from the Severn Formation, Late Cretaceous, Maryland.

This is an area where I have found abundant turtle shell, shark teeth, enchodus, and occasional mosasaur fossils. 

Not sure if this piece can be identified.  I was thinking turtle but it seems kind of gracile at the broken end.  All help will be very welcome.

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

Hi val horn,

I could imagine this to e turtle humerus, broken at its most gracile point?

To me the last centimeter on the thick end looks somehow different in the pics, is it the same bone, or a fragment of the next one maybe, attached by matrix?

@Tidgy's Dad?

Best Regards,

J

• Thank You 2

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

For what it's worth, doesn't look like mosasaur to me... No idea what it might be, though. Maybe a caudal rib, with most of the vertebra still attached? In which case, however, it would be mosasaur... But it seems too waisted for that :shrug:

@Carl?

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Now that it has dried out some more I took several new pictures.  To me it is only one bone with

a broken shaft and probably small breaks edges of the epiphysis.  Thank you for your time and your thoughts.

IMG_1041.thumb.jpg.962ae1fd12553404ae2cd2e14c422a32.jpgIMG_1033.thumb.jpg.cd6d39900e7a1f3ebbcc3bef563b35e1.jpgIMG_1032.thumb.jpg.de6a0944ae2531dca1a91001962312a6.jpgIMG_1036.thumb.jpg.4efc91146eb2ebc638dcf3c002294f6b.jpgIMG_1037.thumb.jpg.85816f16db48bcf35e5bd06ea543f529.jpgIMG_1031.thumb.jpg.c65cec26fabbcd0142890668a964af5b.jpgIMG_1040.thumb.jpg.96b4f077c544f54eddcf1bd3d7c7bd0c.jpg

Starting to look like the rib of a caudal vertebra more and more to me... Like part of the pygal vertebra from a mosasaur.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 4/24/2022 at 6:01 AM, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

For what it's worth, doesn't look like mosasaur to me... No idea what it might be, though. Maybe a caudal rib, with most of the vertebra still attached? In which case, however, it would be mosasaur... But it seems too waisted for that :shrug:

@Carl?

I wish I could say. Also not getting a mosasaur vibe, but beyond that, no idea.

• Thank You 2