Brittle Star From Italy

Harry Pristis

I obtained this tiny brittle star somewhere, probably in Tucson or maybe in France. I just looked for the label, and realized how little information I have about it.

Can anyone here, especially our European subscribers, provide any more information than this:

brittle star

Pliocene

Italy

dimensions: the central disk is 12mm in diameter

"OPHIVA TEXTURATA; APORRHAIS"

Anyone familiar with this?

------Harry Pristis

post-42-1207073223_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I obtained this tiny brittle star somewhere, probably in Tucson or maybe in France. I just looked for the label, and realized how little information I have about it.

Can anyone here, especially our European subscribers, provide any more information than this:

brittle star

Pliocene

Italy

dimensions: the central disk is 12mm in diameter

"OPHIVA TEXTURATA; APORRHAIS"

Anyone familiar with this?

------Harry Pristis

Hello Harry:

I think could be Ophiura texturata and aporrhais pespelecani from Pliocene/Pleistocene; Western Emilia (Italy).

Hello Harry:

I think could be Ophiura texturata and aporrhais pespelecani from Pliocene/Pleistocene; Western Emilia (Italy).

That's great! Thank you, Trilospain!

What seest thou else

What I could be in his will its just one fossil course I wouldn't mind having all his fossils but I'm not greedy.

^^^ lol anson :o:P keep trying...... hahahaha

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

What I could be in his will its just one fossil course I wouldn't mind having all his fossils but I'm not greedy.

Of course, Anson, you'll get your chance to own some of these fossils.

Some day, I'll have a big sale -- a fossil yard sale. You'll all be invited.

If I don't get a chance to plan and set up that yard sale, my personal representative will post a notice here for me.

After all, each of us is merely a temporary custodian of those bones. :)

What seest thou else

no anson.....it should be the Kauffy/Anson yard sale....much better.....hehehehehe

hmm it does bring up that topic of what your going to do with your fossils when you pass away.....

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Trilospain, what book do you use in your ID`s? How do you Know it`s Ophiura texturata?There are more fossil (and living) Ophiuras than just Ophiura members.

Trilospain, what book do you use in your ID`s? How do you Know it`s Ophiura texturata? (I`ve got no idea on this subject;although in shells I got a little!)There are more fossil (and living) Ophiuras than just Ophiura members.

And the Aphorrhais looks more to A.Uttingeriana (ranging from Miocene and extinted in Pleistocene),than A.Pespelecani (Miocene-Actual).

On the other hand,there is another thing: the matrix. Well, in my opinion, (and in my own experience), looks more to hard worked Miocene mudstone that to Pliocene-Pleistocene molasess,that are quite soft and easy-go.

Sorry Harry, but for me, is still an incognita!

Trilospain, what book do you use in your ID`s? How do you Know it`s Ophiura texturata?There are more fossil (and living) Ophiuras than just Ophiura members.

It's not a book Moropus, it's a Journal "Palaios". In several number you can find references about those fossils from Emilia.

About Aporrhais, I have a little experience I collected Mediterranean seashell and World cowries as well.

It's not a book Moropus, it's a Journal "Palaios". In several number you can find references about those fossils from Emilia.

About Aporrhais, I have a little experience I collected Mediterranean seashell and World cowries as well.

I remember that I obtained this brittle star from an Italian dealer in Tucson -- I traded him some Florida fossils.

It was this Italian dealer who told me that the brittle star was a Pliocene fossil from Italy. There is a label with the (mis-spelled) OPHIVA TEXTURATA;APORRHAIS glued to the side of the block. I would put high reliability on the info from the dealer.

The "OPHIVA TEXTURATA" is too close to "Ophiura texturata " to be be anything but a mis-spelling.

I am pleased to have an identification of the gastropod. I actually found an illustration of Aporrhais pespelecani in Tafel XX of Giovanni Pinna's ENZYKLOPADIE DER FOLLILIEN. This was the only Aporrhais mentioned. Here is a link to see this amazing "pelican's foot."

The matrix on which the brittle star rests is a soft mudstone.

Thank you all for your advice.

-------Harry Pristis

What seest thou else

I remember that I obtained this brittle star from an Italian dealer in Tucson -- I traded him some Florida fossils.

It was this Italian dealer who told me that the brittle star was a Pliocene fossil from Italy. There is a label with the (mis-spelled) OPHIVA TEXTURATA;APORRHAIS glued to the side of the block. I would put high reliability on the info from the dealer.

The "OPHIVA TEXTURATA" is too close to "Ophiura texturata " to be be anything but a mis-spelling.

I am pleased to have an identification of the gastropod. I actually found an illustration of Aporrhais pespelecani in Tafel XX of Giovanni Pinna's ENZYKLOPADIE DER FOLLILIEN. This was the only Aporrhais mentioned. Here is a link to see this amazing "pelican's foot."

The matrix on which the brittle star rests is a soft mudstone.

Thank you all for your advice.

-------Harry Pristis

Look out for the description of A. Uttingeriana in internet.Perhaps i`m wrong, but it looks to me more than A.Pespelecani.And trilospain, how can I get that journal PALAIOS? Sorry about the Ophiura wrong ID! ^_^

Look out for the description of A. Uttingeriana in internet.Perhaps i`m wrong, but it looks to me more than A.Pespelecani.And trilospain, how can I get that journal PALAIOS? Sorry about the Ophiura wrong ID! ^_^

I am handicapped with this specimen of mine -- I can only see the aperture side of the shell. With this in mind, it does not appear to resemble Aporrhais uttingeriana. Here is a link to an image: Aporrhais uttingeriana

What seest thou else

• Members

I searched through my Italian Pliocene material. Your stellaroid may be Ophioglypha texturata.

My Italian fosils are from the Plaisancian Clay Castell'Arquato, Italia.

Here's photos of the two species of Aphorrhais from the Plaisancian Clay:

post-69-1207181912_thumb.jpg Aporrhais pespelecani (3cm)

post-69-1207182029.jpg Aporrhais uttingeriana (4cm)

I searched through my Italian Pliocene material. Your stellaroid may be Ophioglypha texturata.

My Italian fosils are from the Plaisancian Clay Castell'Arquato, Italia.

Here's photos of the two species of Aphorrhais from the Plaisancian Clay:

post-69-1207181912_thumb.jpg Aporrhais pespelecani (3cm)

post-69-1207182029.jpg Aporrhais uttingeriana (4cm)

You've undermined my confidence, Geofossil! :o

I can report that "Ophioglypha" is a junior synomym for "Ophiura" so that is not the problem.

But, I am no longer confident that the snail on this chunk of mudstone is even Aporrhais. I just cannot see the proper contours -- the "wing" -- on this specimen. I don't want to excavate it. Before befuddlement and paralysis ensue, I think I'll not worry any further about the snail. The more significant fossil is the brittle star, I think.

Thanks for your research effort! :)

------Harry Pristis

What seest thou else