Is this half-tube-like rock a fossil?

zephgreece

• New Members

I don't remember where i found it but i guess it's from the only place i have ever find fossils (rudist fragments and echinoids). These come from Phthiotis, Greece.

I know nothing about fossils so i need your help.

This rock has a intense smell just like the other fossils i mentioned. However i don't know if this means that this is a fossil too or that it's just the way the rocks smell at the place where i found it. Could it be also a rudist? The only reason i'm not sure is that the rudist fragments i have found has this wavy shape at their top just like this rudist image

As you can see the inside is a bit red so i'm also thinking that this could just be an old iron pipe but it also looks like a "normal" rock.

IMG_20220506_215114.thumb.jpg.223ac2e1b192d3265ff26f474aa5c18e.jpgIMG_20220506_215046.thumb.jpg.9f5189c78072dc843c51504ff79e4056.jpgIMG_20220506_215021.thumb.jpg.d89d3b3e4d988861945febc952a7912b.jpg

IMG_20220506_215130.thumb.jpg.e80fc5076aa4c6132582d2d5a15ecf51.jpg

Edited by zephgreece

• zephgreece changed the title to Is this half-tube-like rock a fossil?

Looks like an oddly shaped sedimentary stone to me.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

pottery?

• I Agree 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I am thinking along the same lines as Abyssunder. It seems to resemble a broken flowerpot. :headscratch:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Hello zephgreece and welcome to the forum!

I used to find pieces very much like this in heaps of fossiliferous devonian grauwacke, they intrigued me much as a kid. I only found out what they where when a football-sized concretion in my parents garden fell apart into shards like these, revealing a little iron-brown nodule in the middle. I think there could have been any kind of irregularity in the sediment at the center, including small fossils, but the interestingly shaped shards where only layers of sediment, as Ludwigia stated.

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

• New Members

Thank you all for your replies :) I wished it was something rare.

Off topic question: in a place with rudist fragments and echinoid fossils, is there a chance that i could find something else?

It's really strange. On that place you can very easily find echinoids (however very few in a good shape) but i have never found a seashell for example.