Fin Lover

I understand that there is too little of this tooth to identify, but my husband is just so desperate to hear that one little word (meg!) that he thinks I'm just too lazy to ask.:eyeroll: So, let me see if my assumptions here are correct (still new and learning). Found on Folly Beach (South Carolina) yesterday which I believe means it could be Oligocene to Pleistocene. So, possibly angustiden, chub, subauriculatus (I've also found auriculatus, so I'm not sure which is correct), or meg. Based on the curve, I would guess that it would be at least 3 inches if whole, which I don't think rules any of those out.  The serrations are either small or just really worn, which doesn't tell me much. I think the cusps (or lack thereof) are the important identifier, which we don't have. Are my assumptions correct or is there a way to narrow it down more, such as thickness? Thanks for the help!

KIMG2805~2.JPG

KIMG2807~2.JPG

KIMG2811~2.JPG

KIMG2802~2.JPG

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

Not enough there to identify to species. If you don't know what formation it came from, the root and cusplets can often let you make an ID. Since those are missing, the best you can say is that it is a meg or one of it's ancestors.

Otodus sp.

Likely too big to be Carcharodon carcharias 

There is nothing on it to narrow it down further.