Florida Pliocene Gastropods

Hello !
Sure @MikeR could help you.
by the way the one in the second photo is very eroded but I think  it looks like the one in photo 3 :zzzzscratchchin:

Edited by Paleorunner
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, fossilhuntr1 said:

Anybody know what these are?

Yes,  but you have to help..  Where is general did you find them ? One of the biggest hints when trying to identify a seashell is to first identify the geologic formation in which they were found.. You don't have to identify the spot but City or seashore would be helpful.

For your 2nd photo, look up "Southern Arrow Pyrazisinus scalatus (Heilprin, 1886)".   Welcome to the fossil forum. Jack

• I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Try looking at https://neogeneatlas.net/. Click on all species, then click on gastropods. Or look at @MikeR's "Gastropods of the Tamiami". Your finds will likely be displayed.

Edited by minnbuckeye
  • I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

On 5/12/2022 at 3:27 PM, Shellseeker said:

Yes,  but you have to help..  Where is general did you find them ? One of the biggest hints when trying to identify a seashell is to first identify the geologic formation in which they were found.. You don't have to identify the spot but City or seashore would be helpful.

For your 2nd photo, look up "Southern Arrow Pyrazisinus scalatus (Heilprin, 1886)".   Welcome to the fossil forum. Jack

They were found near Sarasota 

14 hours ago, fossilhuntr1 said:

They were found near Sarasota 

Your 1st fossil seashell might be the gastropod Conus yaquensis from the upper Pliocene Tamiami Formation (Pinecrest Beds) of Sarasota County, Florida. 

I think both your 2nd and third photos are of Pyrazisinus scalatus . which is also found in the Tamiami formation.

But beware,  I am a shell collector, not a scientist.  If a member MikeR corrects my identifications,  believe him.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

@Shellseeker, isn't the spiral on the shell in question too tall for C. yaquensis. Here is a pic from Neogene Atlas of Ancient Life. 

<i>Conus yaquensis</i> from the Plio-Pleistocene (formation unknown) of Sarasota County, Florida (UF 57273).<i>Conus yaquensis</i> from the upper Pliocene Tamiami Fm. (Pinecrest Beds) of Hendry County, Florida, showing a net-like coloration pattern that is revealed by ultraviolet light (PRI 54689).

Looks a bit like Contraconus. 

On which side is the aperture, please? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

42 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

isn't the spiral on the shell in question too tall for C. yaquensis. Here is a pic from Neogene Atlas of Ancient Life. 

You are likely correct plus a reasonable guesstimate for the length of @fossilhuntr1 cone would be 75 mm. a very large shell. As Tidgy'sDad indicates, we also need a photo of the other side of the shell.