Dvps Fossil Fair And Mineral Show

Guest Smilodon

Guest Smilodon

Just a quick report on the 2010 DVPS Fossil Fair. It was well attended. There is always a preponderance of mineral dealers but another fossil dealer and I always represent with a smattering of other dealers who also sell fossils. The biggest dealer, in terms of size, is the DVPS itself, but nobody seems to compete with each other. We just serve different niches. Sorry, I didn't have time to take photos.

On Saturday, Haddy and Shamalama showed up. Haddy stayed to the bitter end and since the highlight of Fossil Fair is always Saturday night when DVPSers head out to a local Chinese/Seafood/? buffet restaurant where things always seem to get boisterous and we just have a good ol' time. I invited Haddy to join us. Even with everything that went on, I think she'll still stay in the club. :P

On Sunday, Just Bob, svillej, and Acryzona showed up and Shamalama returned with some recent finds of his. I won't spill the beans, but HOLY COW, Dave!!! I suspect someday he will post two in particular that will knock your socks off.

All in all, a fun and profitable time.

Edited by Smilodon

sorry i couldnt make it due to work constrictions don. one of these days we'll finally meet up. are you referring to dave's crustacean fossil?

Guest Smilodon

sorry i couldnt make it due to work constrictions don. one of these days we'll finally meet up. are you referring to dave's crustacean fossil?

Phil, this is the longest game of telephone tag I've ever played, but in the grand scheme, having work to go to tis a far, far better thing.

As for Shama's stuff, no crustacean was mentioned. That's all I'll say. :)

lol...yeah tell me about it don! i know he found an awesome little crustacean at the ram last sun. i'll ask him to put em up.

Was this the show in Philly this past weekend? I had every plan ready to go, and then a guy at work had his gall bladder burst and needed a pacemaker put in, so I had to cover.

However, I'm not missing the Franklin show.

Also, curious to see these finds everyone's mentioning. Always nice to see what comes out of that stream.

Wish I could have been there too, but it's a bit of a haul for me and I already went to one show in Delaware not too long ago :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Was this the show in Philly this past weekend? I had every plan ready to go, and then a guy at work had his gall bladder burst and needed a pacemaker put in, so I had to cover.

However, I'm not missing the Franklin show.

Also, curious to see these finds everyone's mentioning. Always nice to see what comes out of that stream.

It was at Plymouth Meeting.

Wish I could have been there too, but it's a bit of a haul for me and I already went to one show in Delaware not too long ago :D

It was awesome Russ, alot better than the Delaware show.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Where can I find out about fossil shows like this? I'd like to go to my first one as early as later this year, but I don't know about the different orgs that put on these shows :(

Guest Smilodon

It was awesome Russ, alot better than the Delaware show.

Each show has its own feel. The Delaware show is the first show of the season in the Midatlantic - so there's lots of fresh stuff from Tucson. Also, the Delaware show has more jewelry dealers than most others. The DVPS show has more of a homey feel to it and we now have recognized speakers throughout the weekend.

The Baltimore show is growing like crazy but it is only one day and is always the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend - that makes it all kinda chaotic to me.

Franklin is just plain odd to me - twice a year but two different sponsoring organizations - heavy preponderance on minerals, especially some high end mineral dealers inside, but then there is the tailgating area with maybe 50 dealers outside too. I don't do the spring show, but I'm inside for the fall show.

Edited by Smilodon

Guest Smilodon

Where can I find out about fossil shows like this? I'd like to go to my first one as early as later this year, but I don't know about the different orgs that put on these shows :(

google "fossil clubs" and "rock and mineral clubs in TN" and their shows - also check surrounding states - it's a start.

Yes, the show was a very good one and is well balanced with fossil, mineral and jewelery/lapidary dealers. The DVPS and PMS do a great job each year arranging the show and making sure they have good dealers. I blew my show allowance for the next month but got some nice stuff. I picked up a nice Devonian association piece from Don, some rare Green River stuff and raided the DVPS table for copies of "The Mosasaur" which is a professional publication that is occasionally produced by the club. Lots of interesting stuff in there concerning our local region. I might make it to Franklin, although I don't want to spend gobs of money just before I go on a mini vacation the following week.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I had the small camera with me but only took a few photos. It was a good show. I bought some supplies. Dinner with the group was fun; had to skip a play to do it but it was one I'd seen already anyhow and we were sorta iffy on whether to see it or not. It was a long and tiring weekend, but lotsa fun. No fossil hunting however -- will need to make up for that!

Hopefully Just Bob was able to get the packages I left for him from Don?

post-1782-1269997425401_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1269997432285_thumb.jpg

post-1782-12699974454984_thumb.jpg

Try joining a local club (or even a club in an area where you'd like to hunt). The members will know about other clubs in your area. Ours also publishes a list of other events in the area.

Guest Smilodon

I had the small camera with me but only took a few photos. It was a good show. I bought some supplies. Dinner with the group was fun; had to skip a play to do it but it was one I'd seen already anyhow and we were sorta iffy on whether to see it or not. It was a long and tiring weekend, but lotsa fun. No fossil hunting however -- will need to make up for that!

Hopefully Just Bob was able to get the packages I left for him from Don?

We Deliver!