Is this a fragment of bone?

brookearchaeo

• New Members

I'm not expecting anyone to identify this as such, just wanted to know if it's actually a fragment of fossilised bone since this was my first time fossil hunting (and it was the only thing we found xd).

Found it in horseshoe canyon near Calgary, Alberta (yeah I know fossil collecting is extremely strict there, as far as I can tell we followed all the rules), specifically in this white sandy section I've attached a pic of. 

It didn't look like any of the other stones around and the holey-porous structure of it seems very bone like. (Sorry all I could find for scale is a magic card...)

IMG20220523100326.jpg

IMG20220523095950.jpg

IMG20220523095939.jpg

IMG20220523095919.jpg

IMG20220523095839.jpg

IMG20220522125736.jpg

5 minutes ago, brookearchaeo said:

Found it in horseshoe canyon near Calgary, Alberta (yeah I know fossil collecting is extremely strict there, as far as I can tell we followed all the rules), specifically in this white sandy section I've attached a pic of. 

The texture is consistent with bone in my experience. 

I'm glad you made an attempt to comply with the laws and regulations and it sounds like you had done some research into the legality of collecting. Perhaps you can help me.

I see you're from England. I'm from the US and I had contemplated a visit to Alberta, Canada as well. I understand that the laws for Alberta are that surface finds from non-protected areas are legal for Alberta residents to collect and keep as custodians, but you need a permit from the province to transport them outside the province. https://tyrrellmuseum.com/research/found_a_fossil#:~:text=If you live in Alberta,from the Government of Alberta.

For a foreigner like myself, I'm not sure what I would do if I were to collect a fossil. I'm sure obtaining a permit is a complicated affair and would likely be denied for an amateur as myself. Its unlikely a fragment of a fossil is of interest to a museum and throwing it away would not be acting as a good custodian. I admit I was stumped and the only conclusion I came to was that a foreigner such as myself should probably not collect any fossils unless I had plans to stay permanently. Do you have any insights as to how a foreigner can legally collect in Alberta? 

• Thank You 1

• New Members
Just now, Crusty_Crab said:

The texture is consistent with bone in my experience. 

I'm glad you made an attempt to comply with the laws and regulations and it sounds like you had done some research into the legality of collecting. Perhaps you can help me.

I see you're from England. I'm from the US and I had contemplated a visit to Alberta, Canada as well. I understand that the laws for Alberta are that surface finds from non-protected areas are legal for Alberta residents to collect and keep as custodians, but you need a permit from the province to transport them outside the province. https://tyrrellmuseum.com/research/found_a_fossil#:~:text=If you live in Alberta,from the Government of Alberta.

For a foreigner like myself, I'm not sure what I would do if I were to collect a fossil. I'm sure obtaining a permit is a complicated affair and would likely be denied for an amateur as myself. Its unlikely a fragment of a fossil is of interest to a museum and throwing it away would not be acting as a good custodian. I admit I was stumped and the only conclusion I came to was that a foreigner such as myself should probably not collect any fossils unless I had plans to stay permanently. Do you have any insights as to how a foreigner can legally collect in Alberta? 

Yeah I will not be taking it outside the province, my gf lives here and I'm staying with her at the moment, so I will be leaving it with her when I leave 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1