Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

On 12/10/2022 at 3:08 AM, Ludwigia said:

And while I'm at it, I might just as well post an Early Jurassic plant fossil, since @siteseer would like to see more of them here. A Nilssoniopteris sp. leaf in pos. & neg. preservation from a sand pit in the Pechgraben in Bavaria. Hettangian Bayreuth Formation. 10. cm. long.

Pl_68c.1.thumb.jpg.63cf1040f6964288f17b418017b89398.jpg

Wonderful. This is interesting... There is a very similar cycad (indistinguishable, to me) from over here (Campanian age) called Nilssonia vancouverensis, unusual in being a solid leaf rather than with pinnules like other cycads or ferns etc. and I read this from wikipedia:

Nilssoniopteris is an extinct form genus of leaves belonging to the Bennettitales. Leaves are slender and often entire-margined (smooth-edged), though some species have dissected leaves with numerous small segments extending down to the rachis of the leaf. Nilssoniopteris-like leaves are distinguished by their syndetocheilic stomata, indicating bennettitalean affinities. Similar "taeniopterid" leaves are placed in the genus Nilssonia if their stomata are instead haplocheilic (indicating cycad affinities), or Taeniopteris if the cuticle is not preserved.

Edited by Wrangellian
  • I found this Informative 2

13 hours ago, siteseer said:

I just realized that I'd already posted the Dendraster diegoensis so I'm replacing the specimen as my Pleistocene entry with an odd bird beak from Late Pleistocene tar seeps in Kern County, California.  The locality wasn't given to me (either Maricopa or McKittrick - probably the latter).  It's about 1 13/16 inches (45mm) measured along its longest dimension.  I thought it could be a large hawk or owl beak but Auspex was thinking parrot.

tarpit_beak2.jpg

tarpit_beak2a.jpg

tarpit_beak2b.jpg

Wow!

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

On 12/11/2022 at 6:15 PM, ClearLake said:

@Herb  That is very neat!  I'm curious, did you find any micro-vertebrate material in the peat bog sample?  Back in graduate school, I tried to find micro-vertebrates in northern Indiana Pleistocene deposits but came up empty.

I did not have enough material to check, and it was almost 40 yrs ago

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

1 hour ago, Herb said:

I did not have enough material to check, and it was almost 40 yrs ago

Ok, gotcha. I should have pm’d you back then as that was about the time I was looking. Haha. Thanks

• I found this Informative 1

Very well then... here's another Precambrian item to set off the next round (not that the Precambrian is required, but what the hey..)

Intrites punctatus,

Ediacaran ~560 mya

Upper Burway Fm? (or Synalds or Lightspout?), Stretton Gp, Longmyndian Supergp.

Long Mynd, Shropshire, England

Thought to be an organism but there was a paper that threw doubt over all the Longmyndian 'fauna', so maybe it's just bubbles in a microbial mat.

Intrites punctatus.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

So I'll continue on with a plate of Agraulos ceticephalus trilobites from the Middle Cambrian Jince Formation in Skryje, Czech Republic which I recieved from Seaforth, a member who hasn't been active here since 2019.

T66.thumb.jpg.e1bb31d6de2be8bcd5c6ea74fdd37d47.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I do like my lichids. Complete examples of Hemiarges paulianus are not terribly easy to find in the Ordovician of Ontario. 

1A3E07C7-08A3-42B2-8A4F-9DCDBE6323CA.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

A marvelous cystoporate Meekopora dudleyensis. Much Wenlock Limestone Formation, Middle Silurian, Wren's Nest, Dudely, West Midlands, UK. 

Meekopora.thumb.jpg.5738debffc057349a8b8d1a39c32f1ca.jpg

Meekopora0.thumb.jpg.36a5a8aac9252a21a87e2a807e3f7020.jpg

Meekopora1.thumb.jpg.255c7ad4ab400c8f499aaea8a00f0ae4.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hypostome of Huginarges contusa. Amherstburg Fm, Ontario. Mid Devonian.

502F0EC1-0E37-4B88-9DD8-7E0C700BC4AE.jpeg

• Enjoyed 7

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Lamellosathyris lamellosa (4.5cm. wide). A brachiopod from the Early Mississipian (local Dinantian) Tournasian Ballysteen Limestone Formation on the Hook Peninsula, Wexford County, Ireland. Found while on holiday in the summer of 2014. Lovely location near the small town of Churchtown directly on the battered coast.

B144a.thumb.jpg.73603356bb61a8f92fa4a2ba670dd79b.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Lamellosathyris lamellosa (4.5cm. wide). A brachiopod from the Early Mississipian (local Dinantian) Tournasian Ballysteen Limestone Formation on the Hook Peninsula, Wexford County, Ireland. Found while on holiday in the summer of 2014. Lovely location near the small town of Churchtown directly on the battered coast.

Yum yum. Drool.gif.74bd39a9ffe2d5246518c4968b12f8a1.gif

Yum, yum yum. Drooling.gif.579407f834d43ef6a34e6e75ecadfa0e.gif

• Enjoyed 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Well, I guess I'll just add another one from the Carboniferous, this time a plant from the Late Muscovian, Pennsylvanian Westfal D Formation which I found on a huge spoils pile in Zbuch, Czech Republic 11 years ago on a short stopover while on the way to a business meeting in Hungary. Lepidodendron mannebachense bark. The block measures 18x10.5cm.

Pl_83a.1.thumb.jpg.83cc25119e1172ea1ec669b48ddce02e.jpg

• Enjoyed 9

Daonella sp.

Bivalves

Middle Triassic

Prida Formation

Star Peak Group

Fossil Hill

Oreana, NV.

IMG_4800.JPG

• Enjoyed 6

Seminotus sp.

Partial fish skull, body, fins, and tail

Lower Jurassic

Shuttle Meadow Formation

Newark Supergroup

Durham, CT.

IMG_5075.JPG

• Enjoyed 6

This is a nice Pseudostacus hakeliensis I acquired recently.

It’s 3.8” long, from the Upper Cretaceous (~100mya)

Hjoula, Lebanon

87F051F5-8628-40FA-ACF7-958C3E97B82F.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4

This is a fruit of Cyclocarya browni, a relative of the modern Wheel Wingnut tree, C. iljunskaya, a rare species.  This specimen comes from a time early in the evolution of the Juglandaceae, the walnut family which incudes hickories and pecans.  The family spread into Europe and later Asia.  It died out in North America but survived in Europe until sometime in the Pleistocene, surviving into modern times in East Asia.

Cyclocarya means "circle nut" referring to the roughly circular "wing" around the fruit which is incomplete in this specimen.

Cyclocarya browni 

Late Paleocene' 

Sentinel Buttes Formation

Morton County, North Dakota

cyclocarya.jpg

Edited by siteseer
cropped photo
  • I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 3

This is a jaw section of perhaps the earliest artiodactyl, Diacodexis.  Artiodactyls are the herbivorous even-toed mammals represented today by deer, camels, bison, sheep, and antelope.

Diacodexis sp.

Early Eocene

Willwood Formation

near Powell, Park County, Wyoming

diacodexis1a.jpg

diacodexis1b.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Pinus sp. cone in a barite concretion which I found 20 years ago (!!!) in a sandpit in Steinhardt, Rhineland-Palatinate. It's 6cm. long and belongs to the Late Meeressand Formation, Middle Oligocene. The sandpits in the area are famous for these types of 3-dimensional plant fossils which can sometimes be prepped out when they are stable enough. This one was unfortunately too soft to be able to do that.

58390619_Pl_2ab.1.thumb.jpg.cdd15c5aa92749723f7115c8716b8bfc.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Carcharoides catticus, Miocene Pungo River Fm, Lee Creek Mine, Aurora, North Carolina, USA

8D951ED6-0372-44BB-8B94-6078D465C4CA.jpeg

Edited by hemipristis
  • Enjoyed 7

George Santayana

Bison horn

Bison sp.

Kansas River alluvium, Pleistocene

Wyandotte County, Kansas, USA

post-6808-0-46945200-1332485061.jpg.3dce7682679a6440f0b573a1178bebf8.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Context is critical.

7 hours ago, hemipristis said:

Carcharoides catticus, Miocene Pungo River Fm, Lee Creek Mine, Aurora, North Carolina, USA

I've never seen so many Lee Creek Carcharoides in one shot before.  I've never seen that many in one shot period.  It's an uncommon genus wherever it occurs.

2 hours ago, siteseer said:

I've never seen so many Lee Creek Carcharoides in one shot before.  I've never seen that many in one shot period.  It's an uncommon genus wherever it occurs.

Not to brag (ok, yeah it is, haha), these are about a quarter of what I’ve found there. The others are missing one or both cusplets. I wanted to post the better specimens.  I also have a 8 lowers. The lowers are challenging to ID. Most were found in the tailings piles outside the museum. Only a few from within the mine itself.

Edited by hemipristis

George Santayana

13 hours ago, hemipristis said:

These are some really pretty teeth.

• Thank You 1