Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

Here's a pair of Applinocrinus texanus from the late Cretaceous Peedee Formation of North Carolina. These are Roveacrinids, a type of tiny floating crinoid. This species lacked typical crinoid arms (they are modified into small plates seen on top) and stem. Length of the larger one is about 2 millimeters.

ApplinocrinusPair.thumb.JPG.e62e0582b0581c0304696d2c5e7860e5.JPG

Edited by Al Dente
  • Enjoyed 8

4 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

A group of Pleuroceras ammonites measuring 13x10cm. from the well-known site in the clay pit at Buttenheim, Bavaria. The largest one on the left is a Pleuroceras apyrenum, the one at the top a P. salebrosum and the little one on the right a P. transiens. This occurs here quite often, that different species of the same genus existed side by side. The white, powdery coating is a remnant of the original shell, and underneath that are the pyritized steinkerns. Early Jurassic Late Pliensbachian spinatum zone, apyrenum subzone. Amaltheenton Formation. I found this on one of my first visits there in 2005.

A133abc.1.thumb.jpg.b0b6479eab64c73fe8b57f2241d251a2.jpg

Very nice specimen Roger. How do you tell the difference between the species? I have a number of Pleuroceras from my visit there in 2017, but they're all labeled as Pleuroceras sp.

48 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Very nice specimen Roger. How do you tell the difference between the species? I have a number of Pleuroceras from my visit there in 2017, but they're all labeled as Pleuroceras sp.

I used a particular special Steinkern publication on the fossil fauna of Buttenheim, which is unfortunately only available in print (it's also just in the German language), and also got some advice from people who know better than I.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

A Nemocardium granosulcatum bivalve with ø 4.5cm. I got my feet wet back in 2012 digging this out of the stream in the Kroisbachgraben in Salzburgerland, Austria. Paleocene Olching Formation (Oichinger Schichten).

L227a.thumb.JPG.78b800523b5e97db6b932c1e57374d76.JPG

L227b.thumb.JPG.06434e25d219e8219fed8ff5389d9096.JPG

• Enjoyed 4

Hypotodus robustus. Slant length 3cm. From the Eocene phosphate plateau at Khouribga, Morocco. I bought this one online.

P145a.jpg.d74f44089d461841e3220c9e79ab192a.jpg

P145b.jpg.fcee46fa383095f7c7b6709d8db39a4b.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Here's a jaw section of Hesperocyon, perhaps the earliest dog, that still bears the third molar - that tiny last tooth.  Retention of the third molar is a lesser-seen feature in early dogs and early amphicyonids by the Oligocene.

Hesperocyon - jaw section

Early Oligocene

Brule Formation

Pennington County, South Dakota

26mm long

hespero1.jpg

Edited by siteseer
cropped photo
  • Enjoyed 4

On 12/26/2022 at 1:05 AM, hemipristis said:

Molas are very unique animals. I’m fascinated by them. I had the pleasure of inspecting one closeup when a fisherman brought one to UNC’s marine science lab many years ago. Didn’t have a camera (pause to let the young-ens chuckle :ighappy: ). Still kicking myself.

On one of my trips with a friend to Brownie’s Beach in Chesapeake City some 30 years ago (Maryland, USA for folks unfamiliar), within 5 minutes of each other he picked up a pristine 4” meg, and I found my first mola  beak. This may sound strange to some, but I was happy that I found the Mola and he the Meg (he felt the opposite, so we were both happy).

It's an oddball fish.  They had one at the Monterey Aquarium in the deepsea tank several years ago.  It looks like a fish that was bitten in half and then you see its fins move.  You'd think such a big slow target out in the middle of the ocean wouldn't last too long and yet they date back to the Miocene at least.  It outlived megalodon.  I have a jaw piece from the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed (will have to shoot that one too).  Marcel showed one some time ago.

I was watching the Mola swim and a woman stopped next to me also looking at it.  Suddenly, she shouted, "Is that a whale?!"

That was hilarious.

Edited by siteseer
additional thought

27 minutes ago, siteseer said:

It's an oddball fish.  They had one at the Monterey Aquarium in the deepsea tank several years ago.  It looks like a fish that was bitten in half and then you see its fins move.  You'd think such a big slow target out in the middle of the ocean wouldn't last too long and yet they date back to the Miocene at least.  It outlived megalodon.  I have a jaw piece from the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed (will have to shoot that one too).  Marcel showed one some time ago.

I was watching the Mola swim and a woman stopped next to me also looking at it.  Suddenly, she shouted, "Is that a whale?!"

That was hilarious.

I’d love to see one in the wild.

please post your jaw piece!  I’d love to see it

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

A collection of speartooth shark teeth, Glyphis glyphis, Late Miocene, Sumatra, Indonesia.

This is a close cousin to the Ganges River shark, Glyphis gangeticus, which has a nasty habit of eating people in India and Bangladesh.

The uppers have a superficial resemblance at a glance to great white uppers, but they are very flat in cross-section (like Carcharhinus plumbeus), with fine to medium serrations, and a Carcharhinus root. They’re not nearly as robust.  The lowers are elongated, with a slight expansion at the end, giving them a slightly phallic shape.

One doesn’t see these for sale much, if ever. But being in the region, I got to “know a guy”, lol. These are about maximum size for the species.

0F9BDB44-35B6-4D74-968D-EFAD5BB00F20.jpeg

952125E7-FA5B-40F7-942F-372644820FEE.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4

George Santayana

Two internal molds of Conus sp. Pliocene. (3.6 cms the largest)
Collected two years ago, on a hiking trip through the mountains of Guardamar Del Segura - Alicante. Spain.

:yay-smiley-1:HAPPY HOLIDAYS:yay-smiley-1:

:santasmile:

1303181312_27ctms.thumb.jpg.553b692f667fd50d1a12f346dbc39d4f.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Here are some bits of wood I found earlier this year from the West Runton Freshwater bed. They are from West Runton, Norfolk and are Cromerian, 450,000 to 780,000 years old. 

There's a photo of the cliffs at West Runton, and the Freshwater Bed can be seen at the bottom of the cliff in the third image.PXL_20221228_134104419_MP.thumb.jpg.bdffd1cb84e6cc29aff2c0004ac823f1.jpg

PXL_20220705_144239073.jpg

PXL_20220705_152609334.jpg

Edited by Pleuromya
  • Enjoyed 5

Precambrian placeholder...

Granitic pegmatite

Proterozoic

Near Mount Rushmore, Black Hills, South Dakota, USA

0078-pegmatite.thumb.jpg.6e5ed076ec4ea3e2d98826e0ec036128.jpg

Large feldspar crystal in granite:

0079-quartz-feldspar.thumb.jpg.85e91c5c9af1c5de9d21c890147f6d55.jpg

Rose quartz:

0077-rose-quartz.thumb.jpg.905f8a972290b77641dc7c57c354fcf8.jpg

Can't leave out Mt. Rushmore itself:

0340-Rushmore.thumb.jpg.4f81f92dc2ecdc156f66b71d830a0af3.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Context is critical.

Hi,

The last photo shows this monument on a face that we do not know. Interesting ! :Smiling:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

49 minutes ago, Missourian said:

Granitic pegmatite

Proterozoic

Large feldspar crystal in granite:

0079-quartz-feldspar.thumb.jpg.85e91c5c9af1c5de9d21c890147f6d55.jpg

Rose quartz:

0077-rose-quartz.thumb.jpg.905f8a972290b77641dc7c57c354fcf8.jpg

Can't leave out Mt. Rushmore itself:

0340-Rushmore.thumb.jpg.4f81f92dc2ecdc156f66b71d830a0af3.jpg

I've been to mount Rushmore. Its a really cool place!!! 

I picked up this fossil a few years ago at Booley Bay on the Hook Peninsula in Wexford County, Ireland. This site is quite famous for its Middle to Late Cambrian stratigraphy. I did a lot of research trying to figure out what it could be, but just ended up with a name with lots of questions marks around it: ?Ediacaria?booleyi? It was identified as such back in the last century, but has been refuted since then, since this is no true Ediacaran fauna, but rather Ediacaran-like. It is however agreed that these fossils have an organic origin. It measures 13x8cm.

Sp4.1.thumb.jpg.dcef493214558b7c0dd29dd25dc58caa.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

This big one was left for dead after I found it in Quebec, but stubborn perseverance and a lot of restoration got this 11 inch (28 cm) semi-enrolled Isotelus gigas over the finish line this year. Big fragments are not uncommon in some parts of the Neuville Formation (U. Ordovician, roughly equivalent to the Cobourg Fm in Ontario), but complete examples are generally unheard of in the more plus-sizes. 

97894C89-C8D6-41AF-AF51-C30FAD6482AC.jpeg

• Enjoyed 9

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

8 hours ago, Kane said:

This big one was left for dead after I found it in Quebec, but stubborn perseverance and a lot of restoration got this 11 inch (28 cm) semi-enrolled Isotelus gigas over the finish line this year. Big fragments are not uncommon in some parts of the Neuville Formation (U. Ordovician, roughly equivalent to the Cobourg Fm in Ontario), but complete examples are generally unheard of in the more plus-sizes. 

97894C89-C8D6-41AF-AF51-C30FAD6482AC.jpeg

Holy cow that is a big trilobite. Hard to overstate just how rare and unusual it is to find trilobites in that size range. 

A Chiolotrypa ostiolata branching bryozoan along with a couple of Leptaena rugosa shells. Found 6 years ago along the railroad tracks on an excursion into the Early Silurian Rochester Shale Formation near Lockport N.Y. 3x3cm.

B170.Br40b.thumb.jpg.0f9a96dc1247d0a10b65b5a2f9f0e979.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

From the Emsian Devonian, Cyphaspis cf khraidensis 3cms.
Jebel Issoumour - Morocco.

It was an online purchase, And also through the internet, from China I got that campaign to protect it.:rolleyes:

1470980292_IMG_20220615_1727357581.jpg.0dd7a1f127f5aab005387cc985f6b1ba.jpg1753941314_28ctms.jpg.29a4ba28b6dd96cd628bcffbef7443e0.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

17 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

The last photo shows this monument on a face that we do not know. Interesting ! :Smiling:

Coco

That’s George Washington

George Santayana

13 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I picked up this fossil a few years ago at Booley Bay on the Hook Peninsula in Wexford County, Ireland. This site is quite famous for its Middle to Late Cambrian stratigraphy. I did a lot of research trying to figure out what it could be, but just ended up with a name with lots of questions marks around it: ?Ediacaria?booleyi? It was identified as such back in the last century, but has been refuted since then, since this is no true Ediacaran fauna, but rather Ediacaran-like. It is however agreed that these fossils have an organic origin. It measures 13x8cm.

Sp4.1.thumb.jpg.dcef493214558b7c0dd29dd25dc58caa.jpg

Interesting... I've seen these in the literature with that name, as a possible Ediacaran descendent. Never realized someone on our forum managed to go there and collect one!

• Enjoyed 1

37 minutes ago, hemipristis said:

That’s George Washington

I think she meant, it shows the monument from an angle we never get to see in photos.  :headscratch: We usually only see the frontal view.

• I Agree 2

18 hours ago, Missourian said:

Granitic pegmatite

Proterozoic

I'm enjoying your Precambrian geology shots. I have a big chunk of the rose quartz from there (not that I collected myself, it came to me thru the usual rockhound network).

Is that it in the lower part of the first photo? I've never seen shots of it in situ.

• I Agree 1

It seems that this thread may be winding down. Maybe a half dozen of us posting .  :shakehead:  I had hoped that many members would take this opportunity to show their finds

George Santayana

5 hours ago, hemipristis said:

It seems that this thread may be winding down. Maybe a half dozen of us posting .  :shakehead:  I had hoped that many members would take this opportunity to show their finds

I'm waiting till Ordovician and Devonian loop back around when I am online to post my Christmas Trilos. :rolleyes:

• Thank You 1