Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

Ullmannia frumentaria (9cm. long) from the Grube Wilhelm II in Richelsdorfer Gebirge, Hessen. Permian Lopingian Zechstein Kupferschiefer Wera-Folge 21.

Pl_61.1.thumb.jpg.b8f0a82a7f26bd0c3778b394905dcd30.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Bump...

Moenkopi Formation (bottom), Chinle Formation, Wingate Sandstone, Triassic

Along Highway 95 through North Wash, near Hite, Utah, USA

A storm approaches:

01-1161-Hwy-95.thumb.jpg.ca405d8185688c730c4e3760150826d2.jpg

Runoff cascades over the the Wingate Sandstone rims:

02-1167-Hwy-95.thumb.jpg.cb97526ea3cbdf8905d48e3fab937932.jpg

The overlying Jurassic Kayenta and Navajo Formations can be seen in places.

03-1171-Hwy-95.thumb.jpg.7b446362545feb6bdfa908639fc53853.jpg

04-1163-Hwy-95.thumb.jpg.8b94628a0c8cfc46288d55a8b50b5640.jpg

05-1165-Hwy-95.thumb.jpg.9c981f47d30937444e4dd749541c0ca3.jpg

The storm is beginning to subside:

06-1166-Hwy-95.thumb.jpg.da29135e3314a7fb357808ce7dc7f7e8.jpg

Sunlight glistens off the wet Wingate:

07-1172-Hwy-95.thumb.jpg.522291503aa8fafe7b76755beff682ce.jpg

08-1173-Hwy-95.thumb.jpg.39666c8b7a63d2692020517ebe114eb6.jpg

• Enjoyed 9
  • Thank You 1

Context is critical.

A quite rare and complete Sphaeroceras brongiarti ( ø 2.5cm.) from the Middle Jurassic Bajocian humphriesianum zone. Found on a plowed field in southern Germany in the spring of 2016.

A1159a.thumb.jpg.345f203f1ef210dae8ba159b9c58b18f.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 6

Hurra! Still room for upper Cretaceous ;).

Question: How many species do you see?

Roemaskogel_29a_AN4553_AN4554_600_kompr.thumb.jpg.854076ad834a719808b0bdbf9901bde0.jpg

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4
  • Thank You 1

On 3/20/2023 at 12:18 AM, FranzBernhard said:

Nothing Paleogene somewhere out there ;)?
Franz Bernhard

I don't have a Paleocene photo at the moment (maybe this weekend) but here's something from the Eocene.  It's a two-tooth maxilla section of Ectocion, an extinct mammal genus of the extinct family, Phenacodontidae.  Ectocion was a small to medium-sized herbivore from a time when there were no deer, dogs, cats, cattle, nor many other representatives of modern mammal groups.  The largest herbivore was the size of a dairy cow.  The earliest horse and elephant were present but they were both about the size of a cat.  This specimen appears to belong to an individual rather small for the genus - also roughly cat-sized.

Ectocion is not known from a complete skeleton but paleontologists have an idea of its general form because a close relative, Phenacodus, is known from essentially complete skeletons.  Based on that, Ectocion was likely a rather slow runner (sort of built like a dog with short legs and 5-toed feet) but perhaps still agile enough on swampy ground to evade predators.  Its remains are known only from North America from sites in New Mexico and as far north as Alberta and Saskatchewan, Canada. 

Ectocion sp.
Early Eocene (Wasatchian)
Willwood Formation
near Powell, Park County, Wyoming

maxilla section - 16mm across

ectocion.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • Enjoyed 3

What, no line to get into the Oligocene?  Okay, here's a photo I've had for a couple of months.  It's a rather uncommon Isurus retroflexus (extinct species of mako) upper tooth.  There has been some recent disagreement that the genus should be Anotodus and that it only looks like a mako.  It's possible but it's a dead ringer as the immediate ancestor of the modern mako species, I. paucus.  The fact that I. retroflexus is known only from fossils and I. paucus is known only from Holocene finds remains to be explained away.  It could be argued that they are the same species changing slightly across time.

The extra thing about this tooth is that I had asked my old friend, Fossilselachian, sometime in the early-mid 90's if he had an extra retroflexus because I needed one for a trade.  He sent me this beauty which had a nicer color combination (shiny brown crown with sort of an acide-washed blue root) than any of the ones in my collection so I pulled a tooth from my collection and actually kept this one and this was a time when I was more interested in acquiring species than keeping teeth with nice color. 

Isurus retroflexus

Late Oligocene (Chattian)

Chnadler Bridge Formation

Summerville, Dorchester County, South Carolina

47mm along the mesial edge including the root

iretro_sc.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • Enjoyed 3

Well, the species here is hastalis and you can have your choice between Carcharodon and Cosmopolitodus for the genus, depending on which author you're reading at the time. As far as I'm concerned, this is quark, as we say in Germany. It comes from my favorite site near the Lake of Constance in the early Miocene Burdigalian Obere Meeresmolasse Formation. Slant length is 2cm.

P120a.thumb.jpg.8b8ad2ad4ec42cc08611b0c0ca699caf.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Here are some Pliocene fish bits, all from a single bulk sample. Pliocene Yorktown Formation of North Carolina.

Dixon bulk comparison.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Here are some Pleistocene ostracods. Not sure which formation. They came up with well cuttings while drilling a well in eastern North Carolina. Several of these have been drilled by predatory gastropods.

Group.Pleistocene.tff.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 7
  • Thank You 1

22 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Here are some Pliocene fish bits, all from a single bulk sample. Pliocene Yorktown Formation of North Carolina.

Dixon bulk comparison.jpg

Eric

Really nice diversity of otoliths species.  The bulk samples where I find otoliths are typically dominated by a single species.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Here's a camel tooth from the Early Pleistocene of Florida.  I bought it at a Tucson show after finding out that some of the fossils and books being offered belonged to a friend who had passed away since the last Tucson show.  I was sad to hear the news.  His widow had asked the dealer to help her sell some of his numerous specimens from all over the world.  My friend started collecting fossils in Austria and he wanted only fossils that he found himself.  Years later, he moved to Arizona and loosened up his rule to include fossils from sites he had visited.  Well, living not far from the Tucson shows was a lot of pressure and he ended up buying fossils from sites he was thinking of visiting.  

Paleollama sp. (extinct camel genus)

Early Pleistocene (Irvingtonian)

Leisey Shell Pit, Hillsborough County, Florida

40mm high including the roots

leiseycamel.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

OK... from the Pleistocene all the way back to 3.7billion - I don't think I've shown this one in this thread yet:

From the Isua Greenstone belt in Greenland (~150km from Nuuk), a piece of 'Isua stone', a kind of banded iron which is thought to contain at least chemical evidence of early life on Earth, if not actual stromatolites as reported. Predates the earliest widely accepted stromatolites from Australia. It is heavy, obviously contains iron. (note scale cube to the left)

Isua.jpg

Edited by Wrangellian
  • Enjoyed 4

One more for now:

Stromatolite, supposed to be Cambrian, formation unknown (I'd appreciate any tips on this), Barkly Tableland, Northern Territory, Australia (W of Camooweal, QLD)

Australia1,2.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

A hashplate from the railroad track embankment near Lockport, N.Y. with among other things, the branching bryozoa Chilotrypa ostiolata and the brachiopod Trematospira sp. Early Silurian Llandoveryian Rochester Shale Formation.

Br39_B176.1.thumb.jpg.38c9285de5003fab4126c654236956de.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

This fish tooth was labelled as Osteolepis but it seems too big for that.  I think it belongs to one of those extinct large lobe-finned fishes like Holoptychius that were related to lungfishes.

This photo was taken in early September.  It has taken that long to squeeze into the Devonian.

unidentified fish tooth
Devonian - D3
Zhelezhogorsk, Kursk region, Russia

just under 7/8 of an inch (22mm) long. 

osteolepis.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • Enjoyed 4

Micro hash filling a burrow trace

Hickory Creek Shale, Pennsylvanian, Carboniferous

Wilson County, Kansas, USA

post-6808-0-57429200-1379638727.thumb.jpg.860b2bbc1130e46b0051ffe300730421.jpg

This includes forams and ostracods, among other things:

post-6808-0-72801700-1379638725.thumb.jpg.cb4accca83d01172622f9cffa618dc20.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Context is critical.

Palaeoniscum freieslebeni from the Wilhelm II mine in Bauhaus, Richelsdorf, Hessen. Werafolge 21, Kupferschiefer, Zechstein, Lopingian, Late Permian. The plate measures 19x11cm.

P23.1.thumb.jpg.c3d74ea5efc444043db9cea2511933db.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Trias I mght, I just don't have many fossils from the Triassic to post  :shakehead:

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Some more Triassic strata in Capital Reef National Park (Utah, USA)...

The Navajo called this area the Land of the Sleeping Rainbow. I wonder why... :)

1368-Rainbow.thumb.jpg.01ddc6b03cfacbfb81db675ba18186b3.jpg

(Moenkopi Fm., Chinle Fm., Wingate Ss.)

The Egyptian Temple:

1432-Egyptian.thumb.jpg.fc5e5f2cd0ed4ce0ad6157ef5f37ae4a.jpg

(This is all Moenkopi Formation)

• Enjoyed 5

Context is critical.

Oppelia fallax

Bajocian, Jurassic

Sherborne, Dorset, England

1.8”

AE02BA37-A6DA-4141-AEB0-4E4CA1901DA9.jpeg

EAD44E7F-3817-45EA-BD5C-402BFD3C1B9B.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Well, we're back to the epoch where I have an unendless supply of specimens. I'll go for the Pliensbachian this time. Late Early Jurassic or Lias as some of us in Germany still call it out of old habit. A Protogrammoceras cf. depressum (ø 7.5cm.)which I fished out of the Aubach in the Wutach Valley area.

A1688a.thumb.jpg.6c66562470efd8b911b4b578dac90ea4.jpg

• Enjoyed 3