Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

:o Oooooooops! GreatHoatzin beat me to it. But I guess it's ok since they're both from different Stages.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

No worries, I’ll hop back in for Maastrichtian Cretaceous. 
Enchodus lybicus partial jaw fragment

Khourigba, Morocco

(can you tell I just went shopping?:heartylaugh:)

8FD74B93-0450-4E79-B7D1-296CFDB94F24.jpeg

E1961DF3-C973-4751-BDD9-2B706B9DF1B8.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

6 hours ago, hemipristis said:

Trias I mght, I just don't have many fossils from the Triassic to post  :shakehead:

Good one!

• Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Well, we're back to the epoch where I have an unendless supply of specimens. 

I'm sure you have a lot, but probably not an infinite number, so maybe "unendless" is an appropriate term. 

Don

• Enjoyed 1

4 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I'm sure you have a lot, but probably not an infinite number, so maybe "unendless" is an appropriate term. 

Don

Not to worry. I do have a slight tendency to exaggeration :P

On 4/2/2023 at 9:44 AM, FossilDAWG said:

Don

I was thinking the same thing! :TongueOut:

Now we're back to the Paleocene, the other sticking point. I have something I could show but my camera lens is finally being fixed... can't get any pics until I get it back.

Here’s one from the Paleocene Aquia Formation.

235BFED4-AE36-435E-8BC4-2F492384CD1A.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 6

Eocene, nice

Amphiperca multiformis, a percoid fish from famous lagerstaette Messel (world heritage), transfer-method-prepared (with raisin, otherwise the matrix will be destroyed, too much water and oil in it), size is approx. 18 cm

SAM_7913.JPG

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 6

Siphonochelus (Laevityphis) curvirostratus  

Early Oligocene  

Byram Formation 

Mississippi

2E8B13AA-E1D5-4480-9DBB-E524120098D1.thumb.jpeg.207d621787fe100959829f2890aaefa0.jpeg

8094530A-1BD5-4FE2-87D8-82D92C01E358.thumb.jpeg.ceddd9d5ff75492f853c4c53561b5cff.jpeg

814F057D-9493-482B-95D0-CEA74ECB75D2.thumb.jpeg.ac025a94bc856fff8e37c879de5376d3.jpeg

Edited by historianmichael
  • Enjoyed 6

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

A Physogaleus contortus tooth with a slant length of 2cm. An extremely rare find from my favorite shark tooth site in the region north of the Lake of Constance. Miocene Burdigalian.

P151a.jpg.7c8f352aef673c1253427d06370730a1.jpg

P151b.jpg.55964202a84e04c6a37bbc625d6b1c9d.jpg

P151c.jpg.68f7c4df2db2e125f5d6796065971b38.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

8 hours ago, rocket said:

Eocene, nice

Amphiperca multiformis, a percoid fish from famous lagerstaette Messel (world heritage), transfer-method-prepared (with raisin, otherwise the matrix will be destroyed, too much water and oil in it), size is approx. 18 cm

I think the transfer method involves resin, not raisin :D.  Raisins (dried grapes) would probably get a little mushy over time.

Don

• Enjoyed 1

4 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I think the transfer method involves resin, not raisin :D.  Raisins (dried grapes) would probably get a little mushy over time.

Don

:fear::heartylaugh:

oh, ouuuu, in deed, resin...

thanks

Hi,

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

A Physogaleus contortus tooth with a slant length of 2cm. An extremely rare find from my favorite shark tooth site in the region north of the Lake of Constance. Miocene Burdigalian.

P151a.jpg.7c8f352aef673c1253427d06370730a1.jpg

P151b.jpg.55964202a84e04c6a37bbc625d6b1c9d.jpg

I didn’t know this species could be in Europe, I thought it was only American. Nice !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

36 minutes ago, Coco said:

Hi,

I didn’t know this species could be in Europe, I thought it was only American. Nice !

Coco

Well, I hope I'm right with my id then. Maybe we should ask @Al Dente and @ThePhysicist what they think.

Maybe you’re right, I’m not questioning your identification.

@MarcoSr?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

2 minutes ago, Coco said:

@MarcoSr?

Coco

I know you're not, but I was just wondering myself if I got it right. I do know that Fossilworks lists finds from Germany, Belgium, Hungary and Italy.

1 hour ago, Coco said:

42 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Well, I hope I'm right with my id then. Maybe we should ask @Al Dente and @ThePhysicist what they think.

Yes, they are found in Europe.

• I found this Informative 2

Bison antiquus femur

1~2.5”

Pleistocene ~14,000 yrs

Kansas River, Wandott County, Kansas

291598C4-8A19-446B-B30B-D73977FE9F59.jpeg

D15FB41A-D82F-4166-A83A-06CF594B9EA4.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4

11 hours ago, Coco said:

@MarcoSr?

Coco

The tooth does look similar to a Physogaleus contortus (but the crown isn't twisted like I'm used to seeing from the US) to me.  Cappetta 2012 specifically states about Physogaleus contortus that "it seems that it does not occur in Europe".  Cappetta actually thinks that Physogaleus contortus from the US "could represent a new genus close to Physogaleus."  However, other Physogaleus species are found in the Miocene of Europe.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

2 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Cappetta 2012 specifically states about Physogaleus contortus that "it seems that it does not occur in Europe".

I'm surprised at that because there are published accounts from Malta, Belgium, Germany, Italy and Hungary just in my small collection of papers. I believe I've seen them posted here from France and Portugal too.

40 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

I'm surprised at that because there are published accounts from Malta, Belgium, Germany, Italy and Hungary just in my small collection of papers. I believe I've seen them posted here from France and Portugal too.

Eric

I'm really not surprised.  Cappetta 2012 shows Physogaleus from all the different places that you mention but not the species contortus.  He thinks contortus is distinctly unique, not even really Physogaleus, (closely related genus), and only from the US.  I can see feature differences in the P. contortus that I have collected from the US and the specimen posted in this thread.  Cappetta could be totally wrong or maybe he has changed his opinion since 2012, but he is a researcher of quite some status where you have to at least evaluate what he says.  I would need to hold these contortus examples from these papers from Europe in my hand and compare them to my US samples to be sure.  Just another example where shark researchers don't agree which I could show so many other examples.

Marco Sr. 

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

@MarcoSr @Al Dente Thank you both for your helpful comments! I think I'll just stick with P. contortus or at least Physogaleus sp. until definite proof comes along for a new species or genus.

On 4/6/2023 at 7:48 AM, Coco said:

Hi,

Coco

On 4/6/2023 at 8:41 PM, MarcoSr said:

The tooth does look similar to a Physogaleus contortus (but the crown isn't twisted like I'm used to seeing from the US) to me.  Cappetta 2012 specifically states about Physogaleus contortus that "it seems that it does not occur in Europe".  Cappetta actually thinks that Physogaleus contortus from the US "could represent a new genus close to Physogaleus."  However, other Physogaleus species are found in the Miocene of Europe.

Marco Sr.

I have seen several Physogaleus teeth from Belgium, and have 2 obtained in a trade from a Belgian collector from several years ago.  He had them ID'd as Physogaleus cf. P. contortus, and they both resemble the tooth posted, with crowns that have only the slighted twist to the.

• I found this Informative 3

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana