Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

1 hour ago, JamieLynn said:

Soooo...are we stuck on Cambrian?

That's how i see it.  I still have a couple of CA/NV trilobites to shoot and will try to do that by this weekend.

Precambrian placeholder...

We rode mules through the Great Unconformity

Proterozoic Vishnu Schist --> Cambrian Tapeats Sandstone

Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona, USA

The Tapeats sits atop the Vishnu:

IMG_0387.thumb.JPG.342e43e0d4ab7f08803c8e8bdbcf0493.JPG

The unconformity is somewhere beneath the vegetated bench:

IMG_0389.thumb.JPG.c875879f573207421ab0151e1ed32c70.JPG

We are at the boundary. The Vishnu can be seen in the creek on the right:

IMG_0394.thumb.JPG.1ae02d117fd381666dc8bb774a8672eb.JPG

• Enjoyed 5

Context is critical.

I'm not quite sure if I haven't posted these trilobites here before, but just to keep things going....

Agraulos ceticephalus (9mm.) from the Middle Cambrian Barrandian Jince Formation at Skryje-Buchna, Czech Republic.

T66.thumb.jpg.329d8e609c97fe887f74e51e0d07304a.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Treptoceras crebriseptum from the Late Ordovician Georgian Bay Formation found in Etobicoke Creek on the outskirts of Toronto, Ontario and not far from its mouth into Lake Ontario. 13cm. long.

N60.thumb.jpg.b7955e3f2e443b448a91cd1c7165d49c.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Hope I did not post it before in this thread...

Graptolith from middle Silurian of Grobsdorf near Ronneburg in Thüringen, Eastern Germany

Should be Octatives spiralis

9305_Graptolith.jpg

grapto_3_Grobsdorf_n.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

These are two arthropod coprolites from the Lower Devonian (Pragian) Rhynie Chert, from Rhynie, Scotland. They both contain spores.

image.jpg

PXL_20221024_131222871.jpg

Edited by Pleuromya
Cropped one of the photos
  • Enjoyed 4

Asterophyllites equisetiformis from the Late Carboniferous, Pennsylvanian (or Silesian in Europe) Wettin Schichten, Stefan B-C. Found on a spoils pile at an old coal mine in Plötz near Halle in Saxony-Anhalt back in 2008.

254307662_Pl_56.Asterophyllitesequisetiformis.1.thumb.jpg.262f4643356f0604307b4d6af32fdf36.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

This is a Rhynchosaur footprint, from the Permian of Lodeve, France. The footprint measures 1.4cm. 

PXL_20230420_104514244_MP.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

This is Permian charcoal from the late Triassic Bull Canyon Formation of San Miguel County, New Mexico. It was likely formed during a forest fire. 

PXL_20230420_111916887_MP.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

So, we're back to the Jurassic again. My favorite Period :D

A pyritized Porporoceras vortex ( ø 77mm.)  Early Jurassic Middle Toarcian bifrons zone, fibulatum horizon from Causse du Larzac, Aveyron, France.

A1692a.thumb.jpg.524cd1ae8a88c92eb995d9d150e51743.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

2 hours ago, Pleuromya said:

This is Permian charcoal from the late Triassic Bull Canyon Formation of San Miguel County, New Mexico. It was likely formed during a forest fire. 

Nice! But I don´t understand, how do they know the charcoal is so much older than the enclosing formation?

Cretaceous, Upper Santonian - Lower Campanian (forgot to write this in the pic).

Weathered limestone clast with fossils in Sandstone of Afling-Formation. Found lose at a short tractor track. Specimen is possible upside down, you can see some rusty rip-up clasts (?) at the "top". Other side of bed has some plant impressions.

HS_Sonnleiten_124_5323_kompr.thumb.jpg.5b42f0adec725e3534377c894e903a6c.jpg

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 4

19 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Nice! But I don´t understand, how do they know the charcoal is so much older than the enclosing formation?

Cretaceous, Upper Santonian - Lower Campanian (forgot to write this in the pic).

Weathered limestone clast with fossils in Sandstone of Afling-Formation. Found lose at a short tractor track. Specimen is possible upside down, you can see some rusty rip-up clasts (?) at the "top". Other side of bed has some plant impressions.

HS_Sonnleiten_124_5323_kompr.thumb.jpg.5b42f0adec725e3534377c894e903a6c.jpg

Franz Bernhard

Sorry, that was a mistake, I was supposed to write Triassic, I must have mixed the two up.  :)

• Thank You 1

15 hours ago, rocket said:

Hope I did not post it before in this thread...

Graptolith from middle Silurian of Grobsdorf near Ronneburg in Thüringen, Eastern Germany

Should be Octatives spiralis

grapto_3_Grobsdorf_n.jpg

These are pretty cool... I keep seeing them and almost buying but the ones I see are always a bit too small or a bit high in price/shipping from Europe.

7 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

These are pretty cool... I keep seeing them and almost buying but the ones I see are always a bit too small or a bit high in price/shipping from Europe.

thanks. Oh yes..., shipping costs for a small fossil became high... We are happy with our small collection of graptoliths we got from an old collection some years ago.

Edited by rocket

16 hours ago, rocket said:

thanks. Oh yes..., shipping costs for a small fossil became high... We are happy with our small collection of graptoliths we got from an old collection some years ago.

I thought that one must be from an old collection, by the label!  It looks bigger than the examples on offer these days.(?)

9 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I thought that one must be from an old collection, by the label!  It looks bigger than the examples on offer these days.(?)

size is smaller than a hand. Good graptolites from germany become rare, our was found really many years ago. Think around WW2 or earlier. 

Normally when we see larger slabs they are full of stretched type of graptolites

Not the best photo, but this is called Trapa angulata, an aquatic plant from the Paleocene Fort Union Fm of Montana. acquired from one of our members some years back (Chele, who later found the T. rex)  I have more of this material from her, I just need to photo some more of it.

Trapa.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Ginkgo biloba from the Eocene Allenby Formation. Collected near Princeton, British Columbia, Canada (with modern counterpart, naturally).

ginkgo_biloba_allenby.thumb.jpg.1c907694c40bbec1738573e9e84426fc.jpg

Edited by Norki
  • Enjoyed 7

1 hour ago, Norki said:

Ginkgo biloba from the Eocene Allenby Formation. Collected near Princeton, British Columbia, Canada (with modern counterpart, naturally).

At'sa nice, I'ma like.

Is that fossil actually G. biloba, or something else? (G. dissecta?) From my Mcabee material I thought it looked like both species were present, but a closer inspection of the supposed biloba leaves has me thinking they are all dissecta (or whatever other species), the overlapping 'fingers' of the leaf can look like they are fused.

Edited by Wrangellian

On 4/23/2023 at 1:03 AM, Wrangellian said:

At'sa nice, I'ma like.

Is that fossil actually G. biloba, or something else? (G. dissecta?) From my Mcabee material I thought it looked like both species were present, but a closer inspection of the supposed biloba leaves has me thinking they are all dissecta (or whatever other species), the overlapping 'fingers' of the leaf can look like they are fused.

This is interesting, and you may be right... I've definitely encountered G. dissecta a lot more frequently in the Allenby than G. biloba (in fact, I think this is the only apparent example of biloba that I have found), although both species have been reported. The only thing that has me leaning more toward biloba (besides the apparent wedge shape), is the size and spacing of the veins, which usually appear thicker and more spread out in dissecta. In any case, you've got me scratching my head on this one, I'll have to take a closer look later.

According to George E. Mustoe in "Eocene Ginkgo leaf fossils from the Pacific Northwest," the two can be distinguished by the structure of the veins:

Leaves of G. dissecta and G. biloba can be distinguished by differences in venation. Ginkgo biloba (A) is characterized by the presence of multiple veins that diverge from a single strand along each basal margin. This style of marginal venation is absent in G. dissecta (B).  

Fig 13 - Leaves of G. dissecta and G. biloba can be distinguished by differences in venation. Ginkgo biloba (A) is characterized by the presence of multiple veins that diverge from a single strand along each basal margin. This style of marginal venation is absent in G. dissecta (B).

Edited by Norki

Teredinidae

Shipworms
Some Teredo Wood from the Oligocene Alsea Fm

Lincoln County Oregon

wormwood1a7PC.jpg

DSCN3417.JPG

DSCN3456.JPG

TeredoAlsea.jpg

Edited by opalbug
  • Enjoyed 7

1 hour ago, Norki said:

This is interesting, and you may be right... I've definitely encountered G. dissecta a lot more frequently in the Allenby than G. biloba (in fact, I think this is the only apparently example of biloba that I have found), although both species have been reported. The only thing that has me leaning more toward biloba (besides the apparent wedge shape), is the size and spacing of the veins, which usually appear thicker and more spread out in dissecta. In any case, you've got me scratching my head on this one, I'll have to take a closer look later.

According to George E. Mustoe in "Eocene Ginkgo leaf fossils from the Pacific Northwest," the two can be distinguished by the structure of the veins:

Leaves of G. dissecta and G. biloba can be distinguished by differences in venation. Ginkgo biloba (A) is characterized by the presence of multiple veins that diverge from a single strand along each basal margin. This style of marginal venation is absent in G. dissecta (B).  

Ah...  Now I'm scratching my head too - I would not have thought either of these were biloba, I mean A does not look bilobed to me, it looks 4-lobed, but there must be some variation in the leaves (esp. over geologic time, but how many species have lasted 50 million years without becoming a new species?). Anyway I might have examples of both from McAbee, I'll have to reexamine them. I definitely have at least 1 good/obvious example of B.

late Pleistocene:

[Mammothus Primigenus]

6.8x6.8x2.8 IN

Yakutia Russia Siberia 

Woolly Mammoth Tooth

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpgNot found by me

Edited by Danielb
  • Enjoyed 5