Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

The Miocene and Pliocene were skipped.  I hate going back to fill in so we're back to the Cambrian.

The good news is my brother took another round of photos for me so I have stuff for the Permian, Triassic, Cretaceous, and the whole Cenozoic.

• Thank You 1

7 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I would not have thought either of these were biloba, I mean A does not look bilobed to me, it looks 4-lobed, but there must be some variation in the leaves

For what it's worth, there's a pretty wide variety of leaf morphologies in modern Ginkgo biloba as well. I believe the author talks about that in the paper I linked previously, so it's possible this is also the case in ancient ones.

Anyway, I'm going to stop derailing this thread, I don't have anything old enough to post yet now that we've wrapped back around!

Edited by Norki

38 minutes ago, siteseer said:

The Miocene and Pliocene were skipped.

No worries. I can fill in here with a Notorhynchus primigenius symphesal tooth from the Miocene Burdigalian which I dug up just yesterday at my favorite site near the Lake of Constance...

P10a.jpg.51d668e80dc2778c23873fba8c8e513d.jpg

...and a Glycymeris glycymeris bivalve from the Pliocene at Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex, England.

L384a.jpg.92b4e677775070cef502cbe033c3d445.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

17 hours ago, Norki said:

For what it's worth, there's a pretty wide variety of leaf morphologies in modern Ginkgo biloba as well. I believe the author talks about that in the paper I linked previously, so it's possible this is also the case in ancient ones.

You're right, it does. My specimens are confusing, as it appears that some of the ones that I thought were G. biloba seem to have several overlapping 'fingers', but they're not the same as dissecta. At the same time, those Paleocene Ginkgos that you see for sale from the N. Dakota look much more like biloba but they are given other names (cranei), so go figure. I'm not a paleobotanist!

Anyway, we'll let the gang continue with the regularly scheduled program.

Precambrian placeholder...

Granite and metamorphic

Proterozoic

Rocky Mountains near Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

12228423225_108b509c6d_o.thumb.jpg.209ea868a8f2e1a1c8d5fb28573db28e.jpg

12228604333_8e8b1e0954_o.jpg.cfb38e745b11bbb2dcd1d32fdebd7156.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Context is critical.

Been a while since I've posted but I've grown my collection a bit since then, so here's one for the Cambrian:

Allonnia? sp.

Cambrian

Wulongqing Formation

Yunnan, China

IMG_5918.thumb.jpeg.a16230b6e6e80e20078ae4b5181b4854.jpegIMG_5919.thumb.jpeg.28b7e406653027f5dd10affc35a80480.jpegIMG_5920.thumb.jpeg.831627768bac3a6a107fa779ba39635b.jpeg

It was originally identified as "Chancelloria", but based on the shape of the sclerites it's probably not that exact genus. Regardless it's likely a related Chancelloriid, a strange group of radially-symmetrical animals thought to be covered in a sclerite-based exoskeleton, reminiscent of chainmail armor.

PS. Are all photos posted on this forum public domain and useable by anyone? That's one of the things that's been making me slightly hesitant to share photos freely here.

Edited by Mochaccino
  • Enjoyed 5

Into the Ordovician... Not terribly common to encounter a Hoekaspis yahuari with its cheeks (albeit mostly just impression in this case). 

21200EAB-7307-40A7-927F-052C8E2E32C9.jpeg

• Enjoyed 7

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

On 4/25/2023 at 11:48 AM, Mochaccino said:

PS. Are all photos posted on this forum public domain and useable by anyone?

I'm not so sure about this myself, so I would suggest you ask one of the Administrators directly if you haven't already got an answer.

And here's what appears to me to be a Lyellia sp. coral which I found 9 years ago on an embankment by the railway tracks at the Cataract, Credit Forks, Caledon, On. Early Silurian Llandoveryian Whirlpool Formation.

An179a.1.thumb.jpg.bb2ce64b6119073ba2cde50f70f35e7d.jpg

• Enjoyed 3
  • Thank You 1

Devonian-lochkovian

Acastella heberti (heberti?)

Borschiv Horizon 

Near Podolia, Ukraine

D1F7C0EE-A9E9-4200-916F-DD610A9583A2.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4

About ten years ago, I was looking around a local gem & mineral show.  Just one dealers had mostly fossils.  They were the leftovers of a collection he had bought the year before.  It was the collection of a couple who were friends of mine.  I had met them over twenty years before.  The husband had passed away around 2001 and the wife in 2010.  Apparently, none of their kids or other relatives were interested in the collection so it went up for sale.  They had a wide-ranging collection of vertebrates, invertebrates, and plants.

Anyway, I had bought some specimens the previous time I had seen the dealer.  He still had some nice stuff like a large Desmostylus tooth, a Messel gar, and various ammonites.  There was also a handful of Mazon Creek fern nodules and a split nodule with an odd-looking fossil showing.  I took a chance on it being some weird arthropod and purchased it with some ferns.  I took it to a friend who is very knowledgeable about invvertebrates and the Mazon Creek fauna in particular (he once had a cool spider from there).  He looked at it a moment and informed me that it was an incompletely-preserved shrimp.  Rather than get upset that I didn't have some rare thing, I was happy to get it identified.  I'd collected fossils long enough by then that I expected it was probably something not that unusual even if it looked odd.

extinct shrimp

Late Carboniferous

Francis Creek Shale

Mazon Creek Fauna

site in Will County, Illinois

nodule about 52 x 89mm (2 1/8 x 3 9/16 inches)

mazon_shrimp.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • Enjoyed 4

Here's an odd fossil.  It's a Permian cephalopod that has been silicified.  It came from the famous Glass Mountains site in Texas.  I had one of these years 30 years ago but traded it and then I got this one about 4 months ago.  There used to be a chain of natural history item stores in the U.S. (actually two of them) back in the late 80's and into the 90's.  It had telescopes, natute guide books, compasses, magnifying glasses, science kits, etc.  Each store also had a display case set into a wall with fossils inside.  The store in San Jose had a softball-sized chunk of Glass Mountains matrix in a bell jar display that had been experty prepared by way of closely-watched acid soakings - just long enough to wash away the matrix without damaging any of the delicate fossils otherwise impossible to prep out.  There were brachiopods with slender spines in a ghostly forest of other silicified specimens sitting seemingly undisturbed since their burial.  It's the best piece of that material I've ever seen.  I still wonder who ended up with that piece. 

The store chain went out of business by the early 2000's.

Agathiceras girtyi

Upper Permian (Guadalupian)

Word Formation, China Tank Member

Word Ranch, Brewster County, Texas

13 mm wide

glassmt_ceph.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

a nice and big Ceratites nodosus from Würzburg, South-East-Germany

Diameter is approx 17 cm

IMG_8008.thumb.jpg.c9b778ff63c048dc7d2b29d445a7ca34.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Time for the Jurassic again. Hmmmm..........this time some plant material from the Lower Jurassic Hettangian Bayreuth Formation in a sand pit in the Pechgraben in Bavaria. A plate (20x14x2cm.) with Neocalamites lehmannianus and Desmiophyllum gothanii.

Pl_54a.1.thumb.jpg.c131f6305b0a346538f758672ebfa5e0.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Scapanorhynchus texanus
Late Cretaceous Period

Wenonah Formation
New Jersey

36691395-6DBE-497F-9FBF-701738BF8530.thumb.jpeg.c3698d28e4d6064ad61c71eac490c017.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Here's a serrated Squalus tooth from the Paleocene.

AquiaSqualusSerratedsmall.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Hypotodus robustus (slant length 3cm.) from the Eocene deposits on the Phosphate Plateau at Khouribga, Morocco.

P145a.jpg.bfbf0e6da79024792c5ae398320671dc.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Oligocene, please ;)?

(Have something Miocene... :D).

Franz Bernhard

2 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Oligocene, please ;)?

Ok then. Gemmula sp. from the Late Oligocene at Pinnow, Schwerin, Mecklenburg- Western Pommerania.

G191.thumb.jpg.bdbacf2239074241467096a7bd86a088.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Conus snail, don´t know species, of course ;).

Conus_Hoellerkogel13_Hoehe49mm_Fund05032023_kompr.thumb.jpg.647843cda014bd16b27b11e7af22c6bb.jpg

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 5

That is a little gem of a specimen, isn't it, Franz?  :dinothumb:

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

That is a little gem of a specimen, isn't it, Franz?

Yeah, its nice and complete and not that small for these beds. Have also an in-situ pic, can you spot it ;)? Err, it already has an arrow pointing towards it...:heartylaugh:

Hoellerkogel_13_Uebersicht_05032023_kompr.thumb.jpg.cf0543e5efeca2578a1baac89a515071.jpg

Hoellerkogel_13_Detail_05032023_kompr.thumb.jpg.128481dd164c8cb5d0323b1a7107d5ab.jpg

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1

10 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Yeah, its nice and complete and not that small for these beds. Have also an in-situ pic, can you spot it ;)? Err, it already has an arrow pointing towards it...:heartylaugh:

Hoellerkogel_13_Uebersicht_05032023_kompr.thumb.jpg.cf0543e5efeca2578a1baac89a515071.jpg

Hoellerkogel_13_Detail_05032023_kompr.thumb.jpg.128481dd164c8cb5d0323b1a7107d5ab.jpg

Franz Bernhard

found it :look:, but had to place my screen under the microscope :heartylaugh:

• Enjoyed 1

Here is a petrosal (once termed as a periotic) of a dolphin.  I received it in a trade in the early 90's.  I don't know the genus but maybe @Boesse will take a look when he has a chance to visit.

dolphin petrosal

Pliocene

Purisima Formation

Capitola, Santa Cruz County, California

29mm wide

periot_capit.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Here are two Carcharhinus lower teeth that might be from a bull shark (C. leucas).  They were collected during the 1960's by oil exploration geologists wandering around "an Ice Age beach deposit" in northwestern Peru (no more precise data recorded).  They sent them to a friend of mine who was a geologist collecting fossil shark teeth and shells as a hobby in hopes of pinning down the age.  They are rather large for a bull shark but definitely in the size range.  Nice range in color among some of the other teeth.  Others are bleached from weathering.

Carcharhinus

Pleistocene 

site in northwestern Peru

orange tooth 22mm wide; blue tooth 20mm wide

sh_pleist_peru.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • Enjoyed 4

On 5/4/2023 at 4:12 AM, FranzBernhard said:

Franz Bernhard

You must have been pretty proud of the find, to take discovery pics! I've done that on occasion.