Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

Anybody noticed that?

This topic is already running for one year!

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 3

In the late 80's, I had a really cool rectangular matrix piece from northern British Columbia that had a few Paraceratites specimens on it.  I traded it to a dealer about 25 years ago and then I saw it in a friend's colletion a year after that.  More recently, I noticed the dealer still had specimens from there so I bought one.  It's not as nice as that other one but it shows two specimens on one side with a nautiloid and a few tiny speimens on the other.  I can show the other side when the Triassic is up again.

Someone found a great site for Middle Triassic ammonites out there in the 70's (or before) and one dealer ended up with a number of specimens and had them in a mail order catalogue (who remembers those catalogues?).  I've seen various individuals offering ammonites from there online over the past couple of years but they may be from that one big find. 

Paraceratites hayesi

ammonite

Middle Triassic

Toad Formation

Tetsa River, northern British Columbia, Canada

matrix piece is roughly 40mm x 61mm (1 1/2 ix 2 3/8 inches)

paracera_bc1b.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 2

Inoceramus pinnaeformis bivalve that I purchased a few years ago. 

Jurassic, Pliensbachian

Blockley, Gloucestershire 

PXL_20230528_082421884_MP.jpg

PXL_20230528_082357400_MP.jpg

PXL_20230528_082410233_MP.jpg

Edited by Pleuromya
  • Enjoyed 2

Here's a tooth I bought at the gem show back in the days when Moroccan vertebrate stuff was starting to appear at Tucson and other shows.  It's from the Kem Kem Beds of Morocco.  Its cutting edges appear to be slightly crenulated rather than finely-serrated.  It's oval in cross-section on the root end but the crown becomes blade-like toward the tip so it is somewhat labiolingually compressed.

I assume it's a crocodile tooth but thought it might have had a small chance at being from a dinosaur so I posted some photos in a thread in Fossil ID a few months ago.  The consensus was that it wasn't a dinosaur so it's probably a croc though it's a weird shape for one - more blade-like.

Late Cretaceous (Cenomanian)

Kem Kem Beds, Taouz area, Morocco

61mm long

kkcroc1a.jpg

kkcroc1c.jpg

kkcroc1b.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • Enjoyed 3

New oncoide, a proper rock saw really makes a difference ;):

AN4648_AN4707_300_kompr.jpg

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 4

On 5/25/2023 at 5:33 PM, JamieLynn said:

Ductina vietnamica

I think it's now Illaenula vietnamica.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Otodus obliquus

extinct shark genus and species

Late Paleocene

"Woolwich Bottom Beds"

Herne Bay, UK

43mm slant height

otodus_herne.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

On 5/28/2023 at 12:44 AM, siteseer said:

In the late 80's, I had a really cool rectangular matrix piece from northern British Columbia that had a few Paraceratites specimens on it.  I traded it to a dealer about 25 years ago and then I saw it in a friend's colletion a year after that.  More recently, I noticed the dealer still had specimens from there so I bought one.  It's not as nice as that other one but it shows two specimens on one side with a nautiloid and a few tiny speimens on the other.  I can show the other side when the Triassic is up again.

Someone found a great site for Middle Triassic ammonites out there in the '70s (or before) and one dealer ended up with a number of specimens and had them in a mail order catalogue (who remembers those catalogues?).  I've seen various individuals offering ammonites from there online over the past couple of years but they may be from that one big find.

That would explain my observation that they are mainly available from a certain US dealer, and are no easier to get here in BC (perhaps impossible).

It might have been from that same guy that I acquired an Anagymnites involutus from that place/formation a few years back. Seems good Triassic fossils are hard to get, generally.

On 5/28/2023 at 2:03 AM, FranzBernhard said:

New oncoide, a proper rock saw really makes a difference ;):

Franz Bernhard

You got yourself a new saw?

Do you find many of these oncoids at that site?

5 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

You got yourself a new saw?

Do you find many of these oncoids at that site?

Its a home-made and used rock saw, I got it for free from an old friend (he has bought it), he did not use it any longer. Its a little bit tricky to use, but it can do parallel cuts. It could not cut specimens holding in your hands. But I have resolved this issue, build a supporting table from scrap wood and here we go!

Of that size, I have found about 5, but I have left behind about 5, that were even bigger, up to 20 cm in longest dimension:

Fossilien_2023_8 (franzbernhard.lima-city.de)

Its the site with the biggest oncoides in that area so far:

Fossilien_2022_Teil_2_34a (franzbernhard.lima-city.de)

Site 116, page 3-4

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1

I love to show a nice oligocene Dapalis macrurus from Cereste, France

Large one, was about 17 cm

1887_Dapalis.thumb.jpg.be513cf2be3916a3bef76ad9cf8ccbc6.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Upper lateral Snaggle Tooth Hemipristis serra from my favorite site near the Lake of Constance. Miocene Burdigalian. Slant length 12mm.

P171a.jpg.6a5689609c8cce8c04d4ece32eba1890.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

seal tooth

Pliocene 

Bahia Inglesa Formation

Antofagasta, Atacama Desert, Chile

18mm high (longest root end to crown tip)

seal_chile.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Pleistocene bubble snails (Amplustrum amplustre) from Oahu, Hawaii. Approximately 130k years old from the last interglacial period. This species is still around and exists as a nocturnal worm eater in shallow waters of the Indo-Pacific. The shells have some of the original color, most notably the white shell with pinkish bands. Bubble snails are a pretty weird animal I was happy to learn about. 

IMG_2748.thumb.JPG.a9da84d509b3c619c14f8aacc2dfd203.JPG

Aplustrum amplustre - Wikipedia

• Enjoyed 3

Cambrian

Damesella paronai, Shandong, China. 

683968EE-D557-4344-A006-77A2B963687E.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

A few years ago a good old friend of mine invited me to visit him at his home in Manotick near Ottawa the next time I came over, an invitation which I was happy to accept. As chance would have it, I heard shortly beforehand about a spot along the Rideau river near his home where blocks of shale from the Late Ordovician Hirnantian Billings Shale Formation had been dumped along the embankment to keep back the erosion, and that there was a chance of being able to find trilobites there. So I took a walk along the river and found the spot. There were no complete trilos to be found, mostly pygidiums, but I did manage to find this large (9cm. wide) Pseudogygites latimarginatus pygidium along with a partial Ceraurus sp. cephalon.

T79a.1.jpg.ea5115b8635c9fd73d640b645ff50ac2.jpg

T79b.jpg.2f0b235cacb706225c7c3fb8e41949d7.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

This is a small piece of the Wenlock limestone containing Platyceras haliotis, Brachiopods, crinoid ossicles and a few bryozoans. 

Silurian, Homerian 

Wren's Nest, Dudley, UK 

PXL_20230531_181015379.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20230531_181325971_MP.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

The rostroconch Hippocardia cunea from the Middle Devonian Dundee Formation in Kane's back yard.

Ro1a.thumb.jpg.644e4a05587cf43467d722476cc6be3e.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Two bones of a kind...

Muncie Creek Shale, Kasimovian/Missourian Stage, Pennsylvanian, Carboniferous

Kansas City, Missouri, USA

As these Muncie Creek concretions contain pelagic fossils, these most likely are part of a bony fish. However, as wood has been found near the same level, tetrapod leg bones are not out of the question.

9677-skeletal-elements.jpg.6097ca590c8ba2ebe7bb157d1b35427f.thumb.jpg.44f13c431b106bdae2e938acb04eade6.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Context is critical.

An Orthocanthus texensis tooth in matrix.

Orthacanthus texensis

extinct "prongtooth" or "eel" shark

Early Permian

Ryan Formation

Waurika, Jefferson County, Oklahoma

about 20mm along slant height of longest cusp

xenacanth1.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Here's the other side of that matrix piece from the last pass through the Triassic (previous page) that has the two larger Paraceratities specimens.  This side has a nautiloid and some tiny ammonites.

Middle Triassic

Toad Formation

Tetsa River, northern British Columbia, Canada

paracera_bc1a.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

My favorite Cadoceras sublaeve (ø 8.5cm.) from the Middle Jurassic Early Callovian calloviense zone at Ashton Keynes, Wiltshire, GB. Recieved from a British colleague in exchange for prep work.

A1204a.1.thumb.jpg.28d59b36627c3606cfe1be89aa71a981.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

On 5/28/2023 at 7:31 PM, siteseer said:

Otodus obliquus

extinct shark genus and species

Late Paleocene

"Woolwich Bottom Beds"

Herne Bay, UK

43mm slant height

otodus_herne.jpg

That’s in great condition!

IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png