Fossilized horn?

alhuerga

• New Members

So today I found this horn while hiking. The place where I found it -called Castrillo del Val- is known for the great amount of potamides fossils found all over the ground; furthermore, bison priscus lived nearby.

The place is pretty close to Atapuerca, a big deposit of homo antecessor. 
I think it might belong to a bison priscus horn core, I’ll post some pictures and let’s see what this is! 

F299F1CD-34D0-44AA-82B6-1536BA6BA718.jpeg

56070813-F027-41FC-B8BE-CFD98C48989D.jpeg

3182606C-D449-4885-9CAE-3C69DFD92EC7.jpeg

6919EB56-2F79-4DBC-8FC7-6C684522D0CA.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4

I'd say priscus.  The grooves tend to twist a little which is suspected to hold the sheeths on better when horns take more stress in combat than the frontals (like shorter horned bison with horns laid back further).  That's my guess.  

P.S.  Is it fossilized?  If not, I suppose it could Ornyx or bos or wisent.  It does look short for priscus so juvinile?  It does look like there may be a transition to frontal and if so, it's not a tip of a longer horn.  It does not look juvinile.  Thinking out loud.

Edited by HuckMucus
  • I found this Informative 1

Bison probably.  Did y’all have prehistoric rhinos there?   Like others said fossilized? Awesome find. Only horns I find in Texas are preserved by river bank etc. 

1 hour ago, RJB said:

From the pictures the horn looks old and worn but not fossilized. 

RB

I agree.  I get fooled on the forum a lot though, so I was taking his word.  A lot of Priscus come out of the north country in excellent shape, not even "mineralized" but others are well on their way.  But that white makes it look like bone. 

Bone reinforced with exogenous minerals is said to be "mineralized" or "permineralized."  If the bone components (including the hydroxyapatite) are entirely replaced by exogenous minerals such as silica, it is said to be "replaced by -". If a bone is mineralized, it is more likely to be a fossil. If a bone is not mineralized, it is less likely to be a fossil. No absolutes, only likelihoods, because there are exceptions.

In the case of leaves and wood, as with bones, permineralization depends on the circulation of mineral-saturated groundwater. If there is limited or no circulation (or no suitable minerals in solution), then there is no permineralization. BUT, the organic remains - the leaves, or wood, or bone - are still fossils ("fossilized" if you must).  It's usually devilishly difficult to determine from images the degree of mineralization of a bone.

The bone in question looks to me like a perfectly good bison horn core.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I was in the Natural history museum a few days ago staring at a Tri tops horn and the formation/look was exactly the same. It is interesting to learn how you can cross such things over and how two things so different can still be the same!

• I Agree 1

when I compare with our ice-age-horns and not-fossilized ones I think it is not very old, modern one