Mystery Solved!

Crinoid Queen

Hay all,

Sorry I haven't been on for a while. This semester has been nutts. Over my spring break last week was a great break from the monotony. Matt Cable and I went hunting on thursday and we found some great stuff. It was so much fun even though it was 50 and raining. We got soaked to the bone but we found some great fossils. i will post pics of the stuff we found after I am done prepping it but it might be a while one piece is over 100lbs! Thanxs so much to Matt and Placoderms for coming down and for the nice fossils from SC and MI.

After we hunted on thursday, we went over to the MAPS convention in Macomb, Il. I took this one crinoid that has not been identified in the two years that I have had it. The first person that I showed it to was stumped and he took me over to another gentlemen and he knew right away what it was.It really is an Actinocrinites gibsoni but it turnes out what I thought was part of the calix of this beauty is actually the arms of a starfish! I also took along another piece to ask a friend of Matts and see if he would clean it for me and it turned out it was another one of the same species also with a starfish!

I am so happy that I finally got to go to the MAPS convention. I have been wanting to go for a few years. I found it funny that I have been serching and serching for a fossil starfish and I have had two for about over a year now. I am very flabergasted!

Nice to be back

-CQ

post-1179-1269994977262_thumb.jpg

Beautiful find! smile.gifwub.gif

Just goes to show, a second set of eyes and a second look can find treasures un-noticed or overlooked!

Congratulations!

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I had a blast hunting with you! I'm amazed neither of us caught pneumonia as wet and cold as we got. I have a ton of prep work to do now. I just need to stop travelling on business trips and stay home for a few days.

MAPS was great also. My big purchase was a beautifully prepped crinoid from the Gilmore city Formation. This is a Cactocrinus imperator.

I had the chance to hunt some Mazon creek spots on the drive home. Not sure if I found anything. The nodulues need to be frozen/thawed a few times before I'll know. Maybe a Jelly or two.

It was an exhausting, but fun 4 days.

post-1687-12699977810304_thumb.jpg

Edited by matt cable

Hay all,

Sorry I haven't been on for a while. This semester has been nutts. Over my spring break last week was a great break from the monotony. Matt Cable and I went hunting on thursday and we found some great stuff. It was so much fun even though it was 50 and raining. We got soaked to the bone but we found some great fossils. i will post pics of the stuff we found after I am done prepping it but it might be a while one piece is over 100lbs! Thanxs so much to Matt and Placoderms for coming down and for the nice fossils from SC and MI.

After we hunted on thursday, we went over to the MAPS convention in Macomb, Il. I took this one crinoid that has not been identified in the two years that I have had it. The first person that I showed it to was stumped and he took me over to another gentalmen and he knew right away what it was.It really is an Actinocrinites gibsoni but it turnes out what I thought was part of the calix of this beauty is actually the arms of a starfish! I also took along another piece to ask a friend of Matts and see if he would clean it for me and it turned out it was another one of the same species also with a starfish!

I am so happy that I finally got to go to the MAPS convention. I have been wanting to go for a few years. I found it funny that I have been serching and serching for a fossil starfish and I have had two for about over a year now. I am very flabergasted!

Nice to be back

-CQ

Like.....cool in sterio! :D

Be true to the reality you create.

Those are just awesome! I always enjoy looking at your finds.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Great finds..... You should check the rest of your collection..... :)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Great finds..... You should check the rest of your collection..... :)

Ya i have been lol. Now that I know what I'm looking for will be more obvious :) I need an air abrasive unit before I can really tell for most of the other ones.