UK Ankylosaur ungual?

FF7_Yuffie

Hello, any help with this?

Advertised as a possible ankylosaur ungual. From Hastings Subbgroup, Wealden Clay, Sussex. Description says the grooves in the bone surface are consistent with thyreophoran unguals. 

Yet, when I compare the US ankylosaur unguals--I don't see a resemblance at all. Could be a quite worn one?

1.8 inches.

Cheers

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600 (9).jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Had the same question when I saw this. Interested in hearing what others have to say about this...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

For those interested this what an ungual looks like from a Polacanthus foxii from the Wessex  Fm.

Figure J-K

Screenshot_20220605-032243_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f57853f34db194021254ed3749ad07ab.jpg

Blows et al. 2020

First Valanginian Polacanthus foxii (Dinosauria, Ankylosauria) from England, from the Lower Cretaceous of Bexhill, Sussex

AND a photo of one from my Twitter file

DNooZeRWAAALrMZ.jpeg.4e8983c8a96d8b83255e76e61b971572.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

What makes it so confusing is that this specimen is being sold by someone with a long and outstanding record of finding and identifying fossils in the area. Guess it just goes to show no one is infaillible :Confused05:

• Enjoyed 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

27 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

What makes it so confusing is that this specimen is being sold by someone with a long and outstanding record of finding and identifying fossils in the area. Guess it just goes to show no one is infaillible :Confused05:

Your opinion

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Your opinion

Of course :)

Also, let me make clear that I have no doubt about your conclusion, as yours was my own impression as well. But this guy is known for some big discoveries and has worked with museums, giving off the impression of being a knowledgeable local expert. At the same time, we all know that even the best of us occasionally get IDs wrong. Just surprised to see it happen to this extent, that's all :)

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

33 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Of course :)

Also, let me make clear that I have no doubt about your conclusion, as yours was my own impression as well. But this guy is known for some big discoveries and has worked with museums, giving off the impression of being a knowledgeable local expert. At the same time, we all know that even the best of us occasionally get IDs wrong. Just surprised to see it happen to this extent, that's all :)

I am aware of this kind of thing too, there is a chap I know that has been in the business for a very long time and he happily sells the cheapest 'enhanced' green river fish and tells the tourists they are all original! It happens, seems to me he is happy placating a tourist but then plays serious if you are serious. I also know of dealers that have that much stock in and out that they throw id's on stuff with little thought, then that id works its way along the line and into fact and ends up in a shop being sold in good faith as to what it is.

This is why TTF is such a great place to be a part of, I can ask and learn many things in this place and sometimes, just sometimes I get to pass something I have learnt along too!

• I found this Informative 2