Help identify

derekshannon10241988

Saw a thread titled "Help identify" with two pages worth of comments and got my popcorn ready for the drama.  Instead I got an absolutely stunning find.  This is incredible - the fossil, the mystery, the sediment around the fossil, etc.  Really cool watching the people in this forum come together and incorporate such diverse technology, skills, and expertise to nail it down.  Great find OP.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

Hey all, sorry for the delay I've been on vacation in the Caribbean. This is a cross-section through a small baleen whale skull, and appears to be from a diatomaceous unit like the Monterey or Sisquoc Formation.

• I found this Informative 7
  • Enjoyed 2

10 minutes ago, Boesse said:

Hey all, sorry for the delay I've been on vacation in the Caribbean. This is a cross-section through a small baleen whale skull, and appears to be from a diatomaceous unit like the Monterey or Sisquoc Formation.

Lay person here:  Do you have a ball park on age?  And can you tell which way the animal is facing us? i.e. are we looking toward the tail or nose?  Thanks.

Age is almost certainly going to be middle to late Miocene. Because the cross-section is exactly transverse (plane perpendicular to the midline), it's not possible to say without more information. If you flipped the boulder over, and we saw a bit of the rostrum (snout), then we'd know.

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

• New Members

*UPDATE*

First, I want to thank everyone who has put in the time and effort to help me figure out what this fossil actually is. Second, the rock is now safe and in a place where it can be better photographed (NEW PICS VERY SOON!!) I will make sure to get most of it in the photos. Just give me a break because it is a very very heavy rock.. 

On 6/10/2022 at 1:13 PM, Sagebrush Steve said:

Nobody seems to have made the obvious connection yet.

7B4029F8-2A3E-4567-83C7-A96073C4B2A8.thumb.jpeg.70f96dbcaa63ef00ec9aa672a51b1fb3.jpeg2453E5B6-5B2C-49C7-BFD8-39B62C129825.jpeg.f8279e2a7acebd0c3e29eb53680efb07.jpeg

• Thank You 3

22 minutes ago, derekshannon10241988 said:

*UPDATE*

First, I want to thank everyone who has put in the time and effort to help me figure out what this fossil actually is. Second, the rock is now safe and in a place where it can be better photographed (NEW PICS VERY SOON!!) I will make sure to get most of it in the photos. Just give me a break because it is a very very heavy rock.. 

Looking forward to it.

• New Members

1.Width

2. Height

3. Length

4. Back

5. Back again picture is upsidedown

6. Left

7. Right

8. Top left

9. On face/right side

10. On face/bottom

333631083_IMG_20220611_2011055702.jpg

64481528_IMG_20220611_2011231132.jpg

Screenshot_20220612-005456-383.png

IMG_20220611_200627054_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220611_200945268.jpg

IMG_20220611_200716218_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220611_201309768.jpg

IMG_20220611_201039292.jpg

IMG_20220611_200645200_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220611_201347591.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

Now, thats a contestant for the vertebrate fossil of the month in my eyes.

Without any preparation, if with a lot of work, its a thing of beauty.

I would never have expected that kind of airways in a whale, my only excuse being that I never found a scan of a baleen whales skull that showed internal structures, them being to big for regular CT.

The luckier for me that you found this natural cross section.

Cheers,

J

• I Agree 2

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

First of all - wow it looks even more incredible out of the sand. That’s such an incredible find.

But I gotta ask, how did you end up taking it out of there in the end? 

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

It looks so much nicer out of the sand! It would definitely make a good contestant for the vertebrate fossil of the month. That is a very epic find. 

-Micah

Edited by fossilhunter21

Now, to prep or not prep? I vote leave it as is, since the cross section already has a ton of detail, and the material is almost as pretty as the fossil itself

• I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Styles said:

Now, to prep or not prep? I vote leave it as is, since the cross section already has a ton of detail, and the material is almost as pretty as the fossil itself

I agree that it looks really nice unprepped, but it would also be awesome to prep it and see what it looks like.

-Micah

• I Agree 1

For the possibility of it being scientifically important, prepping might be preferred. Artistically, leave it as nature intended. So when in doubt,....... FLIP A COIN! Tails it is, the artists have won.

A young man wants to take a decision and throws a coin. - 11342205

• Enjoyed 1

As much as I love how it looks in the stone - what if there's more bits in there? What if you've got verts and spine in the rock too? So I'm gonna say prep, personally.

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

I would absolutely leave this one as is. the contrasting colors, the contoured sediments, and the red bone are all unique and exquisite. If the specimen is scientifically important, I might be susceptible to CT scanning, which would leave the stone intact.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 4

There may be a compromise: Prepping from the back side and leaving the very impressive front side as it is.

Franz Bernhard (notorious non-prepper, but flat-surface-polisher :DOH:.)

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 3

Look at the serrations on vertical plane on the second-to-last photo.  Cool.  Also, imagine if any other side had been facing up.  You probably would have walked on by.  I think it is a work of art as-is.  But I don't know how important it could be scientifically.  Thing is, even if you left it out in the elements, absent of bolt of lighting, it's going to be good a a few more hundred thousand years, at least.  Awesome.  

• I Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ludwigia said:

So can anybody really tell us what this is for sure? or are we still waiting for @Boesse

Boesse replied earlier in the thread:

"This is a cross-section through a small baleen whale skull, and appears to be from a diatomaceous unit like the Monterey or Sisquoc Formation."