Pterosaur tooth?

carch_23

Hey all,

Just got these teeth and was wondering if you guys can ID a species to them? Here are the deets…

Locality:- Fluvial sandstone deposits, Kem Kem Formation.
West of Hamada du Guir.
Errachidia Province.
MOROCCO.

They were labelled as coloborhynchus moroccensis but I thought the  coloborhynchus was only found in UK.I’m not really familiar with Moroccan locality to this detail other than the “Kem Kem beds” so maybe my locality provided  narrows the ID possibilities?

they sort of look like sirrocopteryx/ coloborhynchus teeth but based on older pterosaur ID threads, would it be safer to label these as ornithocheirid indet? 

Thanks for the help in advance! 

0CDFE8C5-E689-4883-88A5-1F3FAC4E2291.jpeg

E640BBE1-2717-4E18-9CB4-E980B5ECAB21.jpeg

BF4D49B6-A31E-4F57-9ECA-5035E60DCFCD.jpeg

6E4B0581-A248-4BBB-9F69-481DBBB0B6C4.jpeg

AAACF8C3-2EB9-471E-9798-33611BE496FB.jpeg

I will watch with interest as I sell Pterosaur teeth from the Kem Kem beds also and they can be a pain to id so I have started just labelling as Pterosaur only! They are the same as yours so fingers crossed!

• Enjoyed 1

This is the Pterosaur species list provided by Ibrahim et al. 2020

With multiple toothed pterosaurs present the best call is an indeterminate Ornithocheirid

Screenshot_20220605-071651_Drive.jpg.fe222a4c18916b2b1cc8a4672f333448.jpg

Screenshot_20220605-073107_Drive.jpg.b0635e51fb57aff9420942e0fdf2775e.jpg

Just an fyi the Kem Kem is not a formation but a deposit identified as the KK Beds.  Its consists of several formations known as the KK Group.  The formations in the group are shown below.

Screenshot_20220605-072611_Drive.jpg.d51b5ba8951ad19d090fd9b0f7092ada.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Hi Frank!  It was actually your response from a few years back that I saw you mention to label these teeth as rather a Ornithocheirid indet lol. Thank you so much for that!

Might be a dumb question, but Id just like to confirm what I should make of the other provided provinces/ localities if thats okay. Would saying that the Kem Kem beds are located in West of Hamada du Guir, Errachidia Province, Morocco, be correct? Just Ive never really heard of them other than the usual Kem Kem, Morocco. And if so, would it be correct to describe the locality as this for all my Kem Kem, moroccan stuff? Cheers!

38 minutes ago, carch_23 said:

Hi Frank!  It was actually your response from a few years back that I saw you mention to label these teeth as rather a Ornithocheirid indet lol. Thank you so much for that!

Might be a dumb question, but Id just like to confirm what I should make of the other provided provinces/ localities if thats okay. Would saying that the Kem Kem beds are located in West of Hamada du Guir, Errachidia Province, Morocco, be correct? Just Ive never really heard of them other than the usual Kem Kem, Morocco. And if so, would it be correct to describe the locality as this for all my Kem Kem, moroccan stuff? Cheers!

My Pterosaur teeth were marked as Kem Kem South East Morocco!