What did I find??

Woodt7676

• New Members

I was in a cave close to my house and discovered a sink hole. I got closer and in the sinkhole was a huge pile of sand. In the sand I could see what looked like dozens and dozens of little nests, or so they looked like to me, and a bunch of egg looking rocks all different shapes and sizes. 
they are Extremely heavy and feel just like they look. Can anyone help me identify what they are please? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

CB43AF78-3C8E-4F6F-9B8B-0AB6C88E250E.jpeg

43D6203D-8D1C-4171-9F6E-DBFA068DDE57.jpeg

B8AE890C-62C1-42EB-922B-2898FC278F6A.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

9 minutes ago, Woodt7676 said:

and discovered a stink hole

If these were coprolites, that would explain the smell!!!!!!!

Kidding aside, these do not look like fossils to me. But we will wait for others to respond. By the way, welcome to the forum!! 

Mike

• I Agree 1

• New Members

I tried to edit that word and it stuck?? 
thank you for the feedback and the welcome!

As suggested they don't look like fossils.  Possibly just rocks that tumbled on to the sand in storms.

• I Agree 1

Yes, an assortment of rocks that have been tumbled to a greater or lesser degree.  

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

One of the fragments appears to have shell fragments but the camera is focused on your jeans and I can't be certain.

image.jpg.6076cfd6f8d6299382207ad2ef21c0df.jpg

• New Members

Sorry it is a shell. It was together when I found out and I wanted to see why it was so so heavy so I had my nephew smash it with a hammer and it broke up like that.

I meant it appears it might have shell fragments within the rock I reposted. I don't see anything that looks like a large shell.

Welcome to the forum! Your area is likely to have much older fossils with things like brachiopods, bryozoans, trilobites and crinoids.

Keep in mind that rocks exposed to moving water tend to get tumbled down into rounded shapes and concretions form in spherical forms as well. These lead us to think of other things that have this rounded shape and eggs come to mind quite readily. The resemblance of random rocks to things we recognize is quite common for rockhounds. We've even devoted a topic to this topic:

The phenomenon of seeing familiar objects from ambiguous visual information is a feature of our advanced pattern matching brains. Some times it provides amusing interpretations and sometimes it leads us astray.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

https://www.google.com/search?q=pareidolia&tbm=isch

Cheers.

-Ken

The first one looks like an ironstone concretion (siderite concretion). Note the flaking.

The last one seems to be the weathered shell of a former siderite concretion. That means, the outer part of the concretion had been weathered to "limonite", than it broke and the siderite core fell out.

Concerning the others, I can not say much more than a very generic "stones" ;).

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

If the sink hole is inside a cave, and if it is legal, and if it can be made safe to do so, I would give the experts a shot at it.  If they are unwilling or unable to do so, I would systematically excavate that sand pile to the bottom.  I don't know how deep it is, but maybe people were tossing rocks onto it from above, making the dents it in the sand and the nest-shaped depressions.  It's really hard to talk about this situation without pictures but based upon your words, my mind's eye has conjured up quite the Pleistocene faunal trap.  Beware flash flooding, collapsing sand, walls, ceilings, etc. 

On 6/10/2022 at 7:08 AM, Woodt7676 said:

I tried to edit that word and it stuck?? 
thank you for the feedback and the welcome!

Did you mean "it stunck"? :) Nope, not seeing any fossils. Definitely not any eggs. Search "eggs" on this forum to become familiar with what is and what isn't an egg fossil.

P.S. -- You won't find any in your area because they don't exist there.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!