Suspected Patella from the North Sulfur River in Texas

dannbethrfriends

• New Members

My daughter and I went hunting in the North Sulfur River near Dallas, Texas. She pulled this strange bean looking bone out and I had no clue what it could be. After lots of googling, it seems clear that it is a patella of some sort given the faces on the back. The closest looking thing I have found was a black bear patella for sale, though that specimen was significantly smaller than ours. I did run a "burn test" to check for extant collagen and didn't detect any burning smell. Any thoughts?

IMG_20220612_082659174.jpg

IMG_20220612_082753683.jpg

IMG_20220612_082247742.jpg

IMG_20220612_082300417.jpg

IMG_20220612_082308519.jpg

IMG_20220612_082311736.jpg

IMG_20220612_082529747.jpg

IMG_20220612_082549074.jpg

I don't recognize the patella, but at ~3 inches, I'd start eliminating medium-large possibles.  The bone seems remarkably simple to be from a familiar land mammal.

• Enjoyed 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

• New Members

Thanks for the thoughts! We wandered around the local natural history museum and thought it looked an awful lot like a camelid on display as well! Maybe that's indeed the ticket. I'm sure etsy never gets an id wrong, but it does resemble a supposedly camelid patella on sale there too.

• I found this Informative 1

This is probably a good candidate for an identification request to Richard Hulbert.  He certainly has access to a large collection of comparative material.

@digit

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Indeed! Miocene-Pleistocene mammals are smack dab in the middle of Richard's wheelhouse. I'd consider sending Richard an email with a couple angles of the suspected patella with the ruler for scale. He's always busy and gets ~100 emails/day but now that the Montbrook field season has suspended for the summer he may have a bit more time to plow through his inbox. As here on the forum, a non-trivial percentage of the fossil ID requests he gets are in fact not fossil at all (he too sees an unending stream of Florida "dinosaur eggs"). I think he enjoys it when he actually gets images of a real fossil. ;)

Contact info can be obtained here:

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/museum-voices/richard-hulbert/

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1